Combine Duplicated Styles in Recipe Search

Jarrod

Premium Member
Reaction score
I realize there must be a reason for it since they duplicate styles have different id's but there should be a way to combine them in the recipe search. It is not convenient to have to select two different styles when searching for a specific style for many of the styles.

The following styles all have duplicates in the Style dropdown in the recipe search:

American Amber Ale
American Barleywine
American Brown Ale
American IPA
American Pale Ale
American Stout
Baltic Porter
Belgian Blond Ale
Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Belgian Dubbel
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Belgian Pale Ale
Belgian Tripel
Berliner Weisse
Bière de Garde
Blonde Ale
Cream Ale
Doppelbock
Eisbock
English Barleywine
English IPA
Flanders Red Ale
Foreign Extra Stout
Fruit Beer
Fruit Lambic
Gueuze
Irish Red Ale
Kölsch
Munich Dunkel
Munich Helles
Oatmeal Stout
Old Ale
Saison
Schwarzbier
Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
Sweet Stout
Vienna Lager
Weizenbock
Witbier
Wood-Aged Beer

Totally agree! It would be great to avoid having to search twice. I've assumed that there must have been a transition at some point to re-organize the styles, but if there was a way to combine the data bases for the duplicated ones, it would make the search function much better.

also in the inventory it adds another id to the database instead of combining one already there making 2 of the same product

I am still interested in seeing these duplicated categories combined :) Any thoughts on if this would be possible?

Is this on the bug fix radar? It's quite annoying to have to search twice for some of the styles. This is really my only complaint.

Unfortunately, it's because the BJCP 2015 guidelines and the 2008 guidelines have different numbers/styles. Some recipes are in the "old" style category and the newer ones should be in the 2015 guideline categories. I don't know how we could combine them and get it right.

Hi guys, thanks for bringing this up - I think we have a fix in place now. Now the pre-2015 and 2015 guidelines have been collapsed into one in search, so you should no longer see duplicates; and all recipes of a given style should appear for that single option:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/search/

Let us know if you're still seeing issues with it. Cheers!

Thanks Josh!

Looks great so far, thanks for the fix!

Really helps when searching to only have to look in one place.

Back