easy water calculation?

littlejules

Trial Member
Reaction score
Good morning to all.
I'm new to brewing (brewed 4 extract kits to date) and I'm researching all grain brewing.
I've read about water calculations and watched youtube videos but I can't wrap my head around determining the amounts of water needed.
The most basic calculation I've seen is #lbs of grain x 0.375 (say 9lbs x 0.375=3.375gal ) to determine the mash water volume and multiply that volume by 1.5 (3.375gal x 1.5 = 5gal) to determine the volume of sparge water. If I want a 5 gal post-boil batch size does that mean I need to boil off 3.375gallons? Are the multipliers even correct? All the other calculations I've seen appear to be very complicated.

Simplest calculation is take your final volume and double it. I use a rule of thumb: For my standard six gallon batch I need ten gallons of water. If my FG is high I add water, if low, DME. There's a calculator for water volume on this site and to use it, you need to know where and how much your system loses. It takes some experience to estimate water use well but you'll get there.

Brewers friend does that for you, no calculation's needed, go to your profile figure out your defaults and settings line by line then your water will be calculated for you, look through the FAQ pages for help

Might have to do some trial an error to find the sweet spot in your set up.

Brewers friend does that for you, no calculation's needed, go to your profile figure out your defaults and settings line by line then your water will be calculated for you, look through the FAQ pages for help
thanks for the responses everyone. I looked at the brewers friend water calculation but I didn't see anything for the sparge water, only for the strike

the independent calculators are not tied into any personal settings on this site and are just a generic starting point, for the best possible understanding on how this site works you should brows here for the better calculator http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/

but also you really need to set a few things up first and create a recipe then in the recipe edit mode near the bottom right column theirs a link that will pull that recipe into the same calculator letting you make a pretty accurate list of things to use on brew day, also for an easier way in the same recipe in edit mode under "recipe tools" menu on the lower drop down menu you can click in quick water requirements and based on your profile settings and equipment defaults this will give you a simpler readout

Back