APA Fermentation issue Safale US-05

alexkav

Trial Member
Reaction score
I would like to ask you something regarding my last brew. I have a 15l batch in the fermenter and I added 11g hydrated Safale US-05 yeast for my APA more than 48 hours ago. I wasnt at home, but I know that today the temperature on the fermenter was 13 degrees. I moved it to a warmer place and it is now 15. I dont see activity in the airlock, but only when i actually moved the fermener, it was bubbling for maybe 30 minutes and it stopped again. Can you give me an advise?
I dont have more US-05 yeast with me, but only Nottingham Ale yest and cant get more in the next day.

it just in lag stage, give a day or so and it will be fine, some times it takes a day or two get going depending on the oxygen, I had a beer just recently take 3 days lag then exploded for 10 days, its all good

Hopefully you are right. Well, I believe I aerated well before putting in the yeast. I am moving it to a warmer place, as the 13 degrees Celsius were observed during the day, and night time outside should be even colder. I was worried the the yeast could have died.

You have a leak in the system somewhere that's venting gas without it going through the airlock. Take gravity readings a day apart. If the gravity is dropping, the yeast is working. The airlock is a bad indicator of fermentation: If you have krauesen, you have fermentation whether the airlock is bubbling or not. The gas is going somewhere instead of out the top, likely a bad fit of the stopper or an imperfection in the carboy's neck, assuming you're using a carboy. If you're using a bucket, their gaskets are notoriously leaky. Trust your hydrometer and let the airlock do what it's designed to do, keep air (and bacteria) from siphoning back into the beer.

There is no krausen yet, just a few bubbles on top. The neck is pretty well sealed in my opinion. Yes, If I dont see any visible activity, I am going to take a ready tomorrow.

13° seems pretty low for that yeast, especially if you mean Fahrenheit!! Seriously, can you get it closer to 20°C? That's where I ferment my ales. I use that yeast without rehydrating it. It always gets going quick for me.

Jeff, it was 13° Celsius. Yes, I am trying to bring it up to 20 at the moment, It should reach it, as the room temperature is that much. I had no issues on the previous fermentation with the same yeast, but it was warmer.

US 05 will work fine in 60F Ive done it many times but never below

Well, I believe they say starting from 12 (54F), but from 15 (60F) starts the optimal temperatures. Hopefully I didnt freeze my yeast to death.

i start my SO 5 at 60F and raise it in 2 or 3 days to 62 and 64 over a few days. Thats chamber temp not vessel temp and have very good luck with this program.

I'm no expert, but I think frozen yeast will revive enough to complete their fermentation duties. A little rousing wouldn't hurt.

This is confusing. If you've ever tried to make a half-dry wine, you realize quickly it's very difficult to keep things from fermenting. You give yeast sugar, it will ferment, unless you've accidentally added potassium sorbate. It may not ferment well but it will ferment. Back to my original question: Have you checked the gravity? The depth of the krauesen is also not a very good indication of either the vigor or completeness of a fermentation. I think your beer is fermenting just fine, maybe a little sluggish because of the cool temperature. Check the gravity to be sure.

Today the fermentation seems to be much better after warming up to 19-20C. I will take gravity readings soon as well. So, it seems it was theh temperature indeed.

Your learning about yeast with this one there Alex they have tolerances as the manufacturers specify on the packet they don't work well outside these temperature ranges :)

Yeast can throw all sorts of off flavours if not kept comfortable , far more so if run too warm .
They will ferment below the recommended range but very slowly
Good to see it was a very simple fix this time around

Cooler generally means cleaner flavor I'm guessing your beer will be fine .

Except with saison yeast I presume?o_O Haven't used it though

Saison are different indeed , I'll be running an ambient temp brew with a heat pad set to 28 °C to ensure it gets as funky as James Brown , expecting 40+ (107 F ) outside and 30 in that room in next few weeks

Back