Munich SMaSH

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
recently I drank up the last of my Munich SMaSH... it was pretty good, but there's room for improvement.

I did 100% Munich 10L, with Hallertau Blanc @ FW, 20, 5, 0 = ~30IBUs, and Wy1007 German Ale.

The beer had good clarity, very malty sweet as expected. The hops is where I want to improve. The fruity and citrus aspect of those hops do not go well with the sweet malt character. Just too much of that all around.

So I'm looking for any suggestions on some low-ish AA bittering hops for this one. Next time around I might try out Mittlefruh or Hersbrucker... I'm all ears on this one. Any advice?

I'm also thinking of swapping out the yeast for WLP029 Kolsch. Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of East Kent goldings myself. If you don't mind a British hop.

I've used a fair bit of mittlefruh in my recent brews none of it too late in boil but for an aroma hop I would skip it and use something else.

yes yes, good ideas. I'm looking for bitter, spicy, anything to really contrast the big Munich taste.

Saaz, Northern Brewer, Perle, Tettnanger, Crystal, Fuggles or any variety of Goldings. With any I'd hit about 30 IBU to counter the sweet malty. Depends on what your looking for on how much aroma or flame out. With something like Northern Brewer maybe even 40 IBU.

I like the Perle, its really an over looked but very good hop

For your Munich SMASH (something I've been eager to try, BTW) I'd look at Saaz or maybe Tett. I just got a half lb of German Perle and I'm really excited about trying it out. That would work for you, too.
If you want American, Sterling is said to be the go-to substitute for Saaz (it's a Saaz/Cascade/Brewer's Gold cross). I've got a half lb of that, too and I know from using it in a Blonde that I want to do a big American Pilsner with it to get that spicy Saaz snap with an extra dimension of floral and dry, complex fruit and citrus.
A notion that I had for an interesting SMASH was Munich/Magnum for a malty, malty German IPA.

Yoused Spalt in a Kolsch I made awhile back only 30g@60min then 10g@15 but yes a fine hop indeed ;)

For your Munich SMASH (something I've been eager to try, BTW) I'd look at Saaz or maybe Tett. I just got a half lb of German Perle and I'm really excited about trying it out. That would work for you, too.
If you want American, Sterling is said to be the go-to substitute for Saaz (it's a Saaz/Cascade/Brewer's Gold cross). I've got a half lb of that, too and I know from using it in a Blonde that I want to do a big American Pilsner with it to get that spicy Saaz snap with an extra dimension of floral and dry, complex fruit and citrus.
A notion that I had for an interesting SMASH was Munich/Magnum for a malty, malty German IPA.
yah, if you're interested in doing a Munich smash, really take into account Munich 5L vs Munich 10L. The dark Munich gets me to about 12.5 SRM (with 5 pounds of grain and 2.25 gallon batch size) ... while the 5L gets me only to 8.8 SRM... I went with 10L the first time.

edit: it was also recommended to me to mash lower, so I originally mashed that recipe at 145 for 90 minutes. Hit my OG perfect at 1.052 on it.

But how did it come out as far as body, Oliver? Mashing at such a low temperature, I mean.

But how did it come out as far as body, Oliver? Mashing at such a low temperature, I mean.
Body was fine. right down the middle, wasn't thin, but was an easy drinker. I guess I could girth it up a bit by cheating and tossing in some flaked rye maybe?

You can do a step-temp infusion. Get your fermentables at 140 to 142 for 60 to 90 minutes and then raise the temp to around 158 for anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes for a dextrine rest.

Back