Flip top bottles

ChilliMayne

Trial Member
Reaction score
I bottle my brew with 75cl flip top bottles ( wine bottle with grolsch lid). I have found that some come with a sealant ring that cant be removed from the ceramic and these particular ones dont seal as well causing me alot of grief with priming :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyone else come across this??
Pics to follow

I've got 4 cases of the bomber flip tops if anyone wants them they can have them.......They are junk! Do yourself a favor and get a capper and real beer bottles. I dont mean to sound so negative about it but you get really pissed when you work hard on your brew and half of it turns out flat.

my small supply of grolsch bottles have never failed me, must be a quality issue

I have over 100 grolsch bottles I aquired from my dad. My very first batch there were a few flatties so we replaced the rubbers. These bottles had been used a lot. Since then not a problem. I do have a couple of the fixed seal bottles and the seals are harder. More of a plastic. I use them sometimes but worry. Have never had a prob yet but see where the potential is there.

In a batch of Belgian Golden Ale I made recently, I bottled again with 75cl flip top bottles.
This time I made sure that the gasket and top were both sanitized and most importantly, dry.
Out of the entire batch only one didn't prime well. And this bottle I left in the fridge for at least 2 days before I went to drink it.
Is it possible that the low temperature in the fridge killed the active yeast in the bottle , rendering it flat and unprimed??
:ugeek:

ChilliMayne said:
Is it possible that the low temperature in the fridge killed the active yeast in the bottle , rendering it flat and unprimed??
:ugeek:

I put my conditioned bottles into the fridge to help them clarify. I think it makes them taste better. That alone won't hurt the carbonation.

It could have dropped the carbonation a little because of the colder temperature. Most likely it was the seal on the bottle, or the priming sugar wasn't 100% evenly distributed. I usually have 1 or 2 flat bottles, even though I stir the bottling bucket regularly during bottling.

Back