Mayan Chocolate oatmeal stout

BrewerRick

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just made this and turned out nice but needed a bit more sweetness so i made a new syrup but what do you guys think of the malts? added more caramel than chocolate as im using real cacao thoughts?

Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
6.75%
IBU (rager):
SRM (morey):

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
407 kg American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 86.5%
25 kg American - Caramel / Crystal 120L 33 120 5.3%
15 kg American - Chocolate 29 350 3.2%
6.61 kg American - Black Malt 28 500 1.4%
17.18 kg Rolled Oats 33 2.2 3.6%
470.79 kg Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
54.19 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 60 min 20.89
45.59 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 30 min 9.76
74.01 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Aroma 0 min

Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
173.79 oz Cascade Pellet 7
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
1120.3 L 79c sparge Sparge 65 C 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 3.1 L/kg
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
375.33 g irish moss Fining Boil 10 min.
870.26 g cacao nibs yucatan Flavor Mash --
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Attenuation (avg):
75%
Flocculation:
High
Optimum Temp:
12.2 - 25 °C
Starter:
Yes
Fermentation Temp:
16 °C
Pitch Rate:
0.5 (M cells / ml / ° P)
12101 B cells required
Target Water Profile: London (Porter, dark ales)
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO3-
100 5 35 60 50 265
Notes

Last edited:
fermenting properly a bit light but still pretty good flavour so far. few more days then will add the chocolate syrup to the secondary at 10c.

How did it turn out buddy? I'm thinking of doing a Mole Style Stout myself here in a couple weeks

I bought my chocolate and dried cayenne peppers yesterday, looking at maybe seeping some crushed roasted pumpkin seeds, and im still looking at a couple more chilies for it!

Don't know if I'd use cayenne as thats a fairly hot pepper with little flavour. Without looking up mole recipe's, I'd prolly suggest more earthy chilis lie Ancho, Pasilla or Guajillo. I've never done a chili beer yet though but love the taste of various chilis in my cooking and BBQ'ing so take this for what its worth.

Heck yeah thanks, i take a bit of advice from anyone and everyone as i brain storm what im going to do.

I had a Utah pale ale over the summer that had a touch of cayenne in it, it had just a bit of a kick to it where you knew it was in there. I'll probably just add one or two of the dried cayenne chilies to secondary.

A dude i'm friends with on Untappd had a mole stout a few days ago, description of the brew says it has Ancho, Guajillo, and Anaheim peppers in it. He didn't say it was spicy, so im kinda looking to had a touch of heat to mine. I'll add some Pasilla to it also buddy!

Dang, now i want to do an all Jalapeno & Cocoa Nibs Stout!

I love jalapenos for flavor and mid kick but don't think I'd like them in a beer. Never had one though and wouldn't make a whole batch on a questionable taste without trying it first. :confused: Lots of folks make jalapeno beer though so it comes down to personal taste. Chili and chocolate work awesome together, again, maybe not Jalapeno but your cayenne would work if not going for that "Mole" taste.

What it is looking like right now for my "All Chilies Mole Stout"

Pepper List
60 Minute Boil
1. half pound of fresh jalapenos
2. one ounce dried Ancho
3. one ounce dried Guajillo
4. two whole fresh Serrano's
5. half pound of fresh Anaheim
6. one whole fresh Caribe pepper
7. one whole fresh Fresno pepper

Secondary
1. two whole dried cayenne peppers

Mexican mole stout me thinks. Or fire breathing dragon stout haha:D I wouldn't bring my virgin chilly lips near that fiery stout mate! Hay to each their own I say brew on brother;)

Holy Mackerel! Thats a lot of chilis!
Make it and let us know how it went. Don't forget the other mole ingredients like mexican chocolate, orange peel, for the almond maybe toast a pound of oats and add some brown malt. Heck Cumin and Coriander would be good too but I'd hold off on the garlic and probably the oregano. Some Special B would add to the raisin flavor.

Hmmm. I'm getting excited about this and may try one myself now lol

Its a hit here in mexico really lets you enjoy the taste of real cacao without a harsh flavour its a bit sweet actually.

Attachments

• 15317822_923251447774686_5994439547135434946_n.jpg
    15317822_923251447774686_5994439547135434946_n.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 200
Yep that's a flash looking beer. Like a top shelf beverage I'm sure it tastes the same as well!

Is the recipe public ? Sounds like something i'd like to brew.

Is the recipe public ? Sounds like something i'd like to brew.

yes if you need any tips let me know. This cacao compared to many is citric so i had to wing it a bit and it turned out pretty nice. My brother helped me design it as to compliment the Mayan culture and let the cacao come through without the bitter finish. its nice and balanced.

Back