New to Brewing

PapaMidnite

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all just started my journey .First was an American light extract .came out so so . Second was an American IPA Grain/Extract .Hit all my targets Now looking at all grain BIAB recipe any suggestions ??? I'm sure some of you have gone this route Thanks and nice site

I do BIAB exclusively now. I'm not going to tell you what to brew, though. Brew what you like! If you can do extract brewing, especially if you've done a recipe with steeping grains, you won't have any problem. It's all about getting a good rinse on your grains, and having your expected post boil volume.

Reactions: J A
Like Jeff said, you should brew what sounds good to you.
My only suggestions would be:
  1. Keep it simple. No more than 3 grains (base, body, color) and one or perhaps two varieties of hops. That will make it easier to learn what tastes like what.
  2. Go for an ale rather than a lager. Helps to avoid major impatience when your brew doesn't take 5 months to be ready!

Happy Brewing!

Here's a straight down the pike Blonde Ale that's done well for me:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/426770/house-blonde

That was one of my first all-grain recipes and I've brewed it with minor variations a number of times and it always works. You'll have to work out your own volumes based on your system, but sparge plenty for best efficiency and really figure out your boil-off rate ahead of time so you can get the right amount into the kettle to start with.

Best of luck!

Most recent version used Magnum for bittering and was really nice. I've been liking that beer with a shot of Sterling hops at 5 and flame-out, also, for more of hop flavor and aroma. The Crystal and Sterling seems to play very well together.

Also it will help to brew smaller all grain batches first for all grain. I'm about to pour out a 5 gallon batch of porter that didn't turn out well at all. It will save you money when a batch doesn't work out so well. I'm glad I stopped doing 5 gallon batches. Plus it allows you to buy ingredients for multiple different brews at the same time for the same price (roughly). Do you have a local store or online?

Welcome!
What kinda voodoo ingredients ya using?

Hiya Mr. Midnite,
Welcome aboard. You are in good hands here. I started brewing last August and everyone here has been very helpful and friendly. Good luck on your journey. I will be following your progress as I am now considering all grain brewing as well. Maybe you'll inspire me to take the plunge.
Gorm

Back