Sparge Water Acidification - Enter value

Brewer #54963

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I love your Advanced Water Calculator but I'd like to be able to enter an acid amount myself for the sparge water. I have this need because we acidify all of our water in the same time in our HLT, so I can't have 2 different acid concentration. It would be good so I could keep track and remember exactly how much acid I put or I need to put in my HLT.

And maybe I can ask a question at the same time, is it possible to overacidify the sparge water ? As I said, because we acidify all our water at the same time, we put more acid than needed for sparging so the sparge pH is going to be lower than 5.4, is it bad ? (Would be great to display the sparge pH depending on acid added)

Last edited:
You can overdo anything. Key to homebrewing is our measurement accuracy isn't that great, on balance. If you get somewhere in the neighborhood of the famous 5.6 pH, you'll do okay. You can acidify all your liquor to 5.6 pH - that used to be accepted practice until residual alkalinity came along - with good results. Worst outcome, as long as you're this side of corrosive with the acidity, is your beer comes out a bit tarter than expected.

I dropped my sparge pH last night to somewhere in the low 4's. Oh well. I think my hands were shaking it was so cold out and extra lactic acid fell in. wups:D. I'll still drink it-

Thanks guys,

But I up this thread because I think it would be a really good feature to be able to enter the amount of acid we put for the sparge water. For people using the same HLT for mash/sparge, we can't have a precise ion concentration if the acid quantity is not correct :/

Back