(DONE) generic beer label generator

Kaiser

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think this would be a neat feature: generate a prinable page that shows a generic beer label with stats about the beer (name, brewer, style, OG, FG, etc.) and maybe even a QR code that links to the recipe. i think this would be neat for bringing beer to a club meeting. Nowadays I always take masking tape and a marker.

Kai

Re: generic beer label generator

We've had some good discussions on this at the following threads:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=179
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99

I'm on the same page as you Kaiser when it comes to the ability to produce a simple label. We are considering adding a Tools menu to the recipe page that will contain little goodies like the idea of generating text for a label.

Printing from the browser is a totally different problem, given the multitude of label dimensions (Avery labels for example), and browser quirks with printing. Copying/pasting into Word or Open Office and letting the user take it from there makes the most sense.

QR code is a good idea too, need to figure out how to paste that as a URL into Word / Open Office.

as for printing, I suggest the option of rendering a PDF that can then be printed. The PDF should contain multiple copies of the label. I would not like to option of having to cut and paste for printing.

Kai

That gets into supporting different Avery label sizes. Maybe we just support a handful at first?

What labels are you intending to print to?

LarryBrewer said:
What labels are you intending to print to?

none. I was thinking about printing the page, cut out the labels and attach them to the bottles with masking tape. I don't need labels on my bottles except for club meetings or when I give beer away.

I haven't heard about Avery before until now. How do they take input data? if its only the upload of a PDF, then you could pick a suitable label size and use that for both Avery and the simple "print on paper" approach.

I know that this can be a can of worms but if we can settle on a narrow set of constrains it should not be that bad and could be expanded later.

Kai

Word and Open Office Writer have Avery templates built in. You start a new document and load the template that goes with the product number. It then brings up a grid.

I've had success with the removable labels:
http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Removable-I ... ble+labels

The trick is, if you just want to print one or two, vs a whole page.

The PDF to manual cut out option, not worrying about adhesive labels could be a good place to start.

LarryBrewer said:
The PDF to manual cut out option, not worrying about adhesive labels could be a good place to start.

That's what I was thinking. You could always configure the PDF layout based on a template later. But at least the recipe->label->PDF path would be in place.

Kai

This is a label I plan to use for a beer that I'll be bringing to the next club meeting. I simply cut and paste some info from the recipe view and then created a QR code on-line. I think that's a really cool thing and maybe this catches on and others have QR codes on their label.

With some more time invested it can be made look a bit nicer.

Kai

Attachments

• KaIPA2_Label.png
    KaIPA2_Label.png
    23 KB · Views: 3,096

Look at the FG on that beer, wow! I'm amazed how simple the process is to achieve such a low FG.

Cool looking label, we'll look into QR codes for shared recipes. I can see that being very useful for looking up the recipe on the spot.

LarryBrewer said:
Look at the FG on that beer, wow! I'm amazed how simple the process is to achieve such a low FG.

unfortunately is an all or nothing when you play with enzymes in the fermenter. They can't be stopped.

Kai

Re: (NEXT RELEASE) generic beer label generator

QR Codes for shared recipes and a basic label generator (6 templates) will be going out in the next release!

The label generator and QR Code features are now live. Check for the Label Generator link under the Recipe Tools menu on the recipe edit and recipe view pages. There are 6 templates to choose from, and 2 different sizes.

Please try out the QR codes and let me know how they work. My phone reads them just fine. Only recipes that are shared get QR codes.

Here is an example:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... rator/3981

The printable labels don't go to PDF, but Chrome does that automatically. We designed the templates so they print best in landscape mode.

We are open to adding additional templates down the road. It ties in best with the photo upload feature in the recipe editor, covered here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=370
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=179

Love the generic label generator! Only suggestion (and you are probably already on it) is to allow a different image from my profile pic....

Yes there is already another thread for using a specific pic from the recipe on the label. We need to allow photo uploads to recipes first.

Glad you like the label generator 1.0!

Just printed my first page....but I think I did something wrong - the link to the label section is on the Brew Session page in the last box which includes all my actual measured results, but the stats shown on my labels are not from my actual brew but are from the expected output based on the recipe. Example, the recipe inputs generated an expected FG of 1.008 and ABV of 2.63%, but my actual brew has FG of 1.005 and therefore an ABV of 3.15% - but when I printed the labels it is showing the 1.008 and 2.63% numbers. Am I missing something?

It does not yet support pulling in data from the brew session. You are the 2nd or 3rd person to mention that, so we'll make sure that gets addressed soon.

Back