(DONE) Mash water requirement on the recipe builder

Luca

Premium Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another topic, I didn't figure out a way to get the right amount of water I need to add to my mash steps on the recipe builder. The workaround I've been using is to "Brew" the recipe and check the calculated mash water requirement and use it on the recipe builder.

Would it be possible to do a water requirement estimation in the recipe builder? That could make it easier to calculate how much water to add to each mash step.

Re: Mash water requirement on the recipe builder

Yes, and that is in the works. Will make life easier, and we'll tie this in with the size of mash tun thread.

Re: (NEXT RELEASE) Mash water requirement on the recipe buil

This is now in testing and will go out in the next release:

Recipe Tools -> Quick Water Requirements, brings up the following dialog.

Attachments

• water_requirements.png
    water_requirements.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,507

What is mash water defined as? is it strike water?

I just brewed again, and still found myself converting the strike water required to gallons because the water requirements page doesn't give me gallons.

'Mash water' this the total water ran through the mash tun (including strike and sparge). Perhaps we need to look at labeling that differently, I see how it could cause confusion.

The strike volume is left up to you, but the mash tab in the brew session helps with that.

As to why you are not seeing gallons, can you please post a screen shot or explain more about where you are navigating to? That should be there, provided your units are in US under you profile.

Here is a screen shot from one of my brew sessions. According to my profile I am in US.

Attachments

• mash.jpg
    mash.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,447
This is now live, look for the 'Quick Water Requirements' link under Recipe Tools (available on recipe view and recipe edit screens).

Requests regarding mashing in gallons, entering mash amounts in gallons, and showing if you have exceeded your mash tun capacity are still on our todo list (and tracked in other threads in the forum).

LarryBrewer said:
This is now live, look for the 'Quick Water Requirements' link under Recipe Tools (available on recipe view and recipe edit screens).

That's great, thanks! :)

LarryBrewer said:

Requests regarding mashing in gallons, entering mash amounts in gallons, and showing if you have exceeded your mash tun capacity are still on our todo list (and tracked in other threads in the forum).

Larry -

I found the new quick view, which helps. I don't know if this is what you were referring to in your post I quoted, but I doesn't break out strike water in gallons, that isn't on that quick view, and I can only find it on on the screen shot I took a few posts up.

That is correct, we are covering the strike water vs sparge water in another release (probably the next release, if not the following one). We need to introduce the idea of a mash method, so that is part of the issue. If we show that for everybody, it would only make sense for batch spargers.

LarryBrewer said:

Where is this option tracked?

Every time I brew I still have to type into goggle to convert my quarts to gallons (I'm lazy to divide by 4).

FYI - the additional items discussed in this thread (that are linked in previous posts of mine) are now scheduled for NEXT RELEASE!

Back