Winco homebrew supplies

Fieldblend

Trial Member
Reaction score
Today we were buying groceries at Winco (a west-coast discount grocery chain) when I saw something in the bulk food section that resulted in a "did I really see what I think I saw???" moment.

It was items for doing homebrew -- all grain or extract, your choice. Not a huge range of selections but certainly good enough for basic brewing. Some American 2-row, Munich, a couple of crystal malt choices, rolled wheat and oats. Dried Bitter Orange. Crown caps. Sterilizing agents (Iodophor, also useful for testing the mash, plus star-san). Liquid yeast culture. A selection of hops. A grain grinder (hand-driven). Replacement Grolsch-style closures. Steeping bags. Palmer's homebrewing book. All at a pretty good price.

The folks there said they had just rolled out the homebrew stuff about 3 weeks ago on a trial basis. I hope it flies, could be the start of a whole new brewing generation. Winco is about as common-denominator a place as you could imagine so it might get a different crowd thinking about it. And they are open 24/7 hehe.

If there are any local folks that are interested, it is the Winco on Dartmouth in Tigard. Right now I think it is the only Winco in Oregon that is trying this. Of course, they have a tough row to hoe -- there are a bunch of brewing supply businesses in the Portland-Beervana area. But maybe they can be a good "gateway" brewing supply place.

I have no affiliation with Winco, just being a semi-regular customer.

Fieldblend

Well no winco round here in Qld Australia we have your Costco that you have to pay to shop at. But man if my local woollies sold all grain gear I'd be including that in my weekly grocery shop:cool: scenario hay wife we need to go down the all grain home brew Isle I short on me Munich and I might just grab some crystal 60 whilst I'm at it! Oh look they have a special going on buy 5 kg of base malt and you get a free pack of us05 yippee :p. Yea I'd sure be excited!

my local supermarket stocks some of the Coopers / Mr Beer kits and some of the sugar blends ....i live only a few miles from the brewery ! the trucks carting malt drive within shouting distance of my house ..... dag nabbit !... at least i don't need a sidearm to go shopping here

my local supermarket stocks some of the Coopers / Mr Beer kits and some of the sugar blends ....i live only a few miles from the brewery ! the trucks carting malt drive within shouting distance of my house ..... dag nabbit !... at least i don't need a sidearm to go shopping here

We used to be within walking distance from a craft brewery that was nearby. They got bought out and the new owners shut it down. Sure smelled good when they were brewing. Now I have to make my own good smells :D.

I have 3 breweries within 5 miles of me, one is located in an old bread factory, man did that smell good, better now but you cant beat the smell of fresh bread

I have 3 breweries within s5 miles of me, one is located in an old bread factory, man did that smell good, better now but you cant beat the smell of fresh bread

Sounds like you have a great location. It's all fermentation, and folks have been making good food with that for just about forever. Right now we've got brine-fermented peppers going, and make sauerkraut, pickles, vinegar, wine, beer..bread..miso..cheese.... The big challenge is keeping the different ferments separated. We don't want our hard-won Pinot Noir getting the "vinegar fly" so tend to be pretty rigorous when it comes to cleanliness. Most of this is easy to do & pays big when it comes to the results. But I suspect I'm preaching to the choir here. Most winemakers and brewers I know are into all sorts of interesting things.

Fieldblend

Yep fieldblend I think we beat to a different drum so to speak:p brewing beer is one of my many hobbies but none of them have a cool recipe builder to go with em!

in a perfect world you would need to keep different types of ferments in different rooms especially anything sour and only in that room Ive herd horror stories

Back