Mayan chocolate oatmeal stout

BrewerRick

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well here is something i brewed yesterday all the vids you can see on my facebook page wicked hops brewing. i dont edit so its nothing fancy.

owner wanted a nice xmas beer so i thought id make a stout, that being said he brought me a chocolatier i think they are called from belgium, he works here thought. he brought me real Local Mayan cacao nibs (nice citric flavour) so i added them to the mash. after primary is done ill be making a chocolate syrup with real mayan cacao powder and agave sugar for secondary should add a real nice mouthfeel and complexity to the brew.

here is what i used. thoughts would be awesome.

50L batch

Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
6.55%
IBU (rager):
SRM (morey):

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
13.75 kg American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 87.8% US 2 row
567.5 g American - Caramel / Crystal 120L 33 120 3.6% patagonia brand
567.5 g American - Chocolate 29 350 3.6% patagonia malt brand
210 g American - Black Malt 28 500 1.3% blackprinz
567.5 g Rolled Oats 33 2.2 3.6% local organic oats
15.66 kg Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
48 g Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 60 min 20.71
43 g Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 30 min 10.3
70 g Cascade Pellet 7 Aroma 0 min

Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
161 g Cascade Pellet 7
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
25 L 79c sparge Sparge 65 C 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 3.1 L/kg
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
12.5 g irish moss Fining Boil 10 min.
29 g cacao nibs yucatan Flavor Mash --
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Attenuation (avg):
75%
Flocculation:
High
Optimum Temp:
12.2 - 25 °C
Starter:
Yes
Fermentation Temp:
16 °C
Pitch Rate:
0.5 (M cells / ml / ° P)
398 B cells required
Target Water Profile: London (Porter, dark ales)
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO3-
100 5 35 60 50 265

That looks like a very interesting brew! I'm wondering how Mandarina's tangerine-like flavors would work with the chocolate flavors.... Hmmmm..... Perhaps a touch of vanilla to move the flavor from cacao to chocolate....

thats not a bad idea actually, i just havent been able to get mandarina here in mexico but ill keep trying and when i do ill try for sure, i was thinking a raspberry syrup but ill wait and use that another day. Hope this turns out nice

I just popped the top on bottle 1 of a dark ale I made with mandarina hops and ginger. I did the first batch of it last year and the two flavors really complement. As to raspberry syrup, you're probably getting some kind of artificial flavor. If you can get your hands on raspberries or the canned puree, that's where I'd start.

thats not a bad idea actually, i just havent been able to get mandarina here in mexico but ill keep trying and when i do ill try for sure, i was thinking a raspberry syrup but ill wait and use that another day. Hope this turns out nice
Might try some citrus zest, tangerines maybe.... Not exactly the same but the effect would be there!

i checked on it today and it actually has a very nice caramel smell and the cacao nibs give it a nice end flavour bit sharp but mellow, will add chocolate syrup tomorrow made from agave natural sugar and cacao powder the guy gave me mix it up then pitch it. i also threw in a yeast pack to get it moving again. was a bit stuck

Back