Weird IBU numbers when building recipe

kiwifirst

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to build a recipe and the hop ibu calc seems to be going mad. 83IBU for end of boil aroma hops?? 20g for 5 mins similar to 20g for 30mins?

Screenshot%202016-10-24%2020.44.42.png

Not sure if I have done something wrong, but I can't work out why it is so high.

No extended boil time in settings? If no chill. That 0 min one is ya culprit maybe change from aroma ?

No extended boil time in settings? If no chill. That 0 min one is ya culprit maybe change from aroma ?

Ahha !

SOLVED!

Thank you Trialben, I had copied my last recipe to keep the mash setup and forgot I no chilled the last one.

It now shows 27IBU total.

Cheers mate!

Yea I've done this before. I knew a soon as I saw your location as Aussie from across the ditch that you might no chill;).

Yea I've done this before. I knew a soon as I saw your location as Aussie from across the ditch that you might no chill;).

Got to admit brewing in the Grainfather then no chillin was a pretty easy brew day. My preference is to cool and pitch same day, but on that occasion time constraints, yada yada, which is why i fell for the no chill setting on this recipe ;)

Ahha !

SOLVED!

Thank you Trialben, I had copied my last recipe to keep the mash setup and forgot I no chilled the last one.

It now shows 27IBU total.

Cheers mate!
Hay I've been uming and ahing about using gladfield malts there Kiwifirst you get good conversation out of it in mash ? Good malt flavour? It costs a bit more per,kilo at my local homebrew store so was wondering if I should try it out. Cheers

Hay I've been uming and ahing about using gladfield malts there Kiwifirst you get good conversation out of it in mash ? Good malt flavour? It costs a bit more per,kilo at my local homebrew store so was wondering if I should try it out. Cheers

I am loving them. Averaged about 80%, they are a bit plumper than other malts I usually get, Briess, Wayermann etc so I had to open up the mill a bit as I was getting a lot of flour in the crush and a couple stuck sparges with the grainfather.

The pilsner I just made (Raro lager) was the first one I have ever made that I consider crisp and refreshing, with the Safale s-189 Swiss lager, very clean and very refreshing, even with no conditioning. 3 weeks from grain to glass. So I would recommend the Gladfield brand.

Coming from a kiwi I'm in:D. When youse fella are good at something your bloody good at it just,look at the bledisloe cup :eek::p.

More the sweeter for being a kiwi living in Melbourne.

More the sweeter for being a kiwi living in Melbourne.
Hay there kiwi been looking around online and other forums that Safale s-189 seems to be a lovely yeast its floculation is pretty good too eh? I'm gunna have to give this one a burl what temp did you ferment at? 3 weeks grain to glass with a refreshing tasting lager is pretty good. I see some saying the Safale s-189 beats 34/70 yeast .

Back