Thermometer

I'm not following you. What metric components are you saying have been silently converted? The metric system IS a system of measurements.

Think about a 16.9 ounce soda. That's a half liter, by any definition. An inch is officially defined as 2.56 cm. I don't know if America's Luddites will ever realize that a pint is close enough to a half-liter and in the UK, they still order pints.

The Thermapens are very nice but also very pricy. I don't need that kind of accuracy - a waterproof thermometer is more important to me than a few tenths of a degree that I can't control anyway. Infrared is nice but more expensive. I'll stick with my little waterproof Taylor to calibrate the dial thermometer on my mash tun, the little digital cross-check of my temperature controller on my refrigerator. They're both close enough for homebrew.

You sold me. Let's convert. Should be done by the end of the day. It's still early.

I now understand the point OMB made earlier. I don't agree, but I understand him. The examples that he cited have been in use here since imported cars hit our market. We are no closer to a full conversion to the metric system than we were in the late 70s/early 80s.

Dam you!!! By doing it that way it solves the problem of needing the xtra kettle to hold sparge water HOWEVER my lower manifold is not separated out between the 2 batches. Now I will need to redesign the plumbing!!! I have been trying to figure a way around the 5th kettle and this is the answer. I can brew 20gal of the same beer this way but not separate beers.View attachment 984
Note the single pipe across the bottom.
Just think, all I have is an old cooler and one 8 gal pot. Now I have a goal to work toward. Great looking set up!

I now understand the point OMB made earlier. I don't agree, but I understand him. The examples that he cited have been in use here since imported cars hit our market. We are no closer to a full conversion to the metric system than we were in the late 70s/early 80s.

I remember way back when when Georgia (USA) had road signs in both miles and kilometers.... Sigh. I suppose I can drown my sorrows in a two-liter Pepsi....

Yup. And we had a sign you saw first that said 10 mi = 16.1 kilometers. Then you saw a sign for how far Cincinnati was, in miles and kilometers. I don't think they were even there a year. I think I'll drown my sorrows in a few CCs of some prescription drug I can abuse!

just a small paragraph on the subject

In 1988, Congress passed the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act, which designates "the metric system of measurement as the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce". Among many other things, the act requires federal agencies to use metric measurements in nearly all of their activities, although there are still exceptions allowing traditional units to be used in documents intended for consumers

this has to do with trade mostly concerning import and export to other countries but its in the bill

This whole discussion started when Mark D Pirate asked what was wrong with Celsius, saying that we are about the only ones left using an outdated system. Thanks, Mark!

And he's absolutely right - anyone know why 0 degrees F is the temperature it is? That's how outdated the system is. Of course the original definition of the meter is a bit arcane, too....

I don't know. But it ain't gonna change.

Back