Double IPA - When to add the "hops"

Here's a good description. There's a pdf you can download there too
www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/an-introduction-to-kegging-homebrew/

I recently switched to kegging too. Not as hard as I first thought, but there is some fiddling you need to do to get the right pressure for the beer. But it is a bunch of different names for parts and such to learn

And the house is still intact...for now

Reactions: Mka
one thing that eludes new people kegging is the pressure used for kegging, there are several different scenarios, one is high or force carbing then slow carbing then theres dispensing pressure. once the beer is fully carbed you have to remember that the dispensing pressure will still add carbonation to your beer and over 2 months you can easily over carb a beer. so a lot of attention needs to be played to watching co2 levels. for me once the beer is fully carbed I back it off to 5 psi and that will reduce foam as well

Depending on the size of frig or keezer you use for your kegs you can possibly chill the beer in it.

Thanks @jmcnamara. I just finished transferring to secondary, another question, I use DME, heated-water and add it to secondary. Do you recommend to have the prime DME cool down at room temperature, or doesn't matter war as it is.?

Cheers!

You're using the dme to prime the bottles? That wouldn't go into the secondary, it'd go into the bottling bucket when you go to bottle

But yeah, I put a lid on the pot of water/dme and put it in the sink with some cold water. Swirl it around a bit, lift the lid occasionally to let some of the steam out. I don't take the temp, but when lid doesn't feel too hot anymore, it's good enough for me

Update**

I bottle the DIPA on September 24th. ABV 10.5% - Newbie question, how long is recommend it to bottle conditioning for this type, I was about to open one today, but reading around most brewers leave it for 2 weeks or more.

Suggestions?

Mk.
Cheers!

Last edited:
About two weeks is about right. I say "about" because there's no guarantee your yeast are going to eat up all the sugars in two weeks. The flavor of the beer will change over time - open one up in about ten days if you're impatient, otherwise, wait the full two weeks.

I agree, about 2 weeks and it's carbed up enough to drink.
But just because it's able to be drank, doesn't mean that it is ready to drink.
Some beers benefit from conditioning for a few weeks or months

If you crashed hard and have a very clear beer or your storage temp is below about 70 degrees, it may take a little longer, but you should be getting reasonable carb in 2 weeks. I've had bottle conditioned Hefe carb up in as little as 5 days, but usually 2-3 is more like it.
Also you have a big beer there and you may be bumping up against your yeast's alcohol tolerance. That would mean that there'd be fewer viable cells left to do the work.
If it was me, I'd be checking one at as close to 2 weeks as I could stand to wait and then at 3 and 4. My guess is that with a big beer like that, you won't really like it until it has time to mellow a little. Four to six weeks will probably be good for it and the ones that you leave for 2-3 months will probably be much better.

what he said.

it'd also be interesting to have one at regular intervals (2 weeks or whatever), and take notes on how the flavors, aromas, carbonation, etc. changes. I bet you'd learn a lot from just this one batch

Yep that's a big beer to tell ya the truth I've never brewed a beer with 10abv that's a lot of alcohol to mellow out. I bottle condition in the shelf above my hot water system so always nice and warm I leave it one week there then move to an old fridge where it lives till consumption the fridge temp swings aren't so big so better storage,in hot hot,Queensland,Australia good luck and remember patience is a virtue :D

@Trialben I enjoy heavy alcohol beers.. Don't mind at all. If I understand well, after you brewed you moved to the refrigerator until is consume.

Cheers.

Last edited:
@Trialben I enjoy heavy alcohol beers.. Don't mind at all. If I understand well, after you brewed you moved to the refrigerator until is consume. If I understand well you move it to the fridge when you are ready to drink it.

Cheers.
That's for my bottles MKA. I keg most my beer the left over beer goes into 750ml long neck bottles. I store them on shelf above internal hot water system nice warm fermentation area for a week or till I remember them there. Then I move them to my she'd to the old fridge it doesn't work but temperature is more stable in here than in the ambient various temperature of my shed. They sit here till I either run out of kegged beer or if I feel like drinking em;).

When I go to drink these conditioned bottles I'll leave in fridge at least a week to try and remove chill haze before consumption. Cheers

what he said.

it'd also be interesting to have one at regular intervals (2 weeks or whatever), and take notes on how the flavors, aromas, carbonation, etc. changes. I bet you'd learn a lot from just this one batch

I totally second that. You'll be amazed at how the flavors and balance change over time. You'll never have a proper appreciation of the aging process until you've experienced it first hand.

I like to fridge my brew once it reaches the flavor I'm looking for, to arrest the process and keep it from going 'over'. If you drink fast, though, you may never need to :)

So......What was the conciseness on when to add the extra hops? (fresh/frozen/dried/pellet)

As I read it, the 'consensus' was for dry-hopping in the secondary fermenter, for about four days prior to bottling/kegging.

Back