Thermometer

Really, you're talking to the wrong person. I'm busy enough!

Has anyone used something like this?

Etekcity Lasergrip 1022 Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer with Adjustable EMS & MAX Display, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013X0NQT0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cJrbyb9ZG1D8S
I use one to check my fermentation temp just reading the outside though which is close enough for me. I can check grain temp also but for the mash you need at least a long stem so you can get an accurate temp from the middle. By the way mine reads Fahrenheit

Ok, side question. Why is the middle the accurate temperature? I always stir my mash thoroughly before checking. It should all be the same temperature

Ok, side question. Why is the middle the accurate temperature? I always stir my mash thoroughly before checking. It should all be the same temperature
I'm sure if it's stirred well you could use the infrared.

Well my secondary education was American and I live in Aus so I'm stuck in limbo imperial or metric :).

Same here. ;)
I've lived overseas so I'm comfortable with both sets of units. Metric is so much nicer, for example, if you want x ppm of a substance in a solution, in metric it's x grams per liter. In conventional units, it's 0.14 ounces/gallon. But I don't see Americans converting to Metric in our lifetime. Hijacked thread, I know....

I'm pretty sure most Americans understand conversion is easier when all you have to do is move a decimal point. But I'll bet you my American dollar vs. your metric dollar that we never convert!!

really the us is silently converting everything already. theres probably more but I'm seeing the only real non metric is measurements and the money

I'm seeing the only real non metric is measurements and the money
I'm not following you. What metric components are you saying have been silently converted? The metric system IS a system of measurements.

all manufactures, nuts bolts hardware, cars, tvs, electronics and much more, too busy today to be technical sorry

Back to the thermometer discussion, I've been using the Thermopen for over a year now and it is simply the best thing I have ever seen for this purpose.
http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Thermapen&utm_term=thermapen&utm_content=thermapen - exact

I first saw it on Brulospohy, as that whole team uses them, and I was in the market for a new thermometer solution.
The downside is that it is expensive.
The upside: instant readings, display rotates as needed (like your phone's display), and automatically illuminates in low light.
Also I've been using it extensively for over a year and I'm still on the original battery.
Can't say enough good about it.

And no, I am not a paid spokesperson or anything of the sort - just a satisfied user offering my suggestion to your question.
Cheers!

damn me and my rant ....hijacked the thread
Those Thermapens do look like a nice bit of kit , knowing me i'd drop it in my mash and kill it !

$180 Aussie .... (inc shipping ) ouch !

Last edited:
That thermapen looks a lot like the thermometer someone mentioned earlier that I ended up buying. Mine was much cheaper! As long as it lasts for me, I'll save the money to be off by only a quarter degree Celsius.

I'm sure if it's stirred well you could use the infrared.

The thing to remember about infrared thermometers is that they are sensitive to the color of whatever your measuring. Different colors emit infrared radiation at different rates even if they're the same temperature. You need to calibrate an infrared thermo to what you are trying to measure, and if you have an accurate reading on something light (say, pale malt grains) you won't get an accurate reading on something dark (say, dark beer wort).

I think I would always trust a physical thermometer more than infrared, unless you have a complete chart of thermal emissivity values for each thing you plan to measure.

Back