Yeast Starter with Steps question

MaineGuy

Trial Member
Reaction score
I brew all grain, only use starters on a stir plate with a 2L flask. For me to get the pitch rate I need, I usually have to include one additional step. My flask will not allow much larger than 1.5 liter starters or foam over will occur. Question: after my first step, do I decant off the liquid and add the new starter size 1.5L (as selected in step 2 of the pitch rate calculator) to the remaining slurry? This is how I have "stepped" in the past, but now question my process. This starter is intended for a Pro Brew 1.0 at 1.075 OG for a 5.5 gallon batch.

yes, that's how I would do it. Let the yeast settle, decant and add fresh wort.

Kai

I was starting to think too much and questioning if the starter sizes were progressive. I use high flocculant yeasts to they tend to settle quickly. Thanks Kai

MaineGuy said:
I brew all grain, only use starters on a stir plate with a 2L flask. For me to get the pitch rate I need, I usually have to include one additional step. My flask will not allow much larger than 1.5 liter starters or foam over will occur. Question: after my first step, do I decant off the liquid and add the new starter size 1.5L (as selected in step 2 of the pitch rate calculator) to the remaining slurry? This is how I have "stepped" in the past, but now question my process. This starter is intended for a Pro Brew 1.0 at 1.075 OG for a 5.5 gallon batch.

I heard on Brew Strong that a drop of foam control in the 2L flask at boil really helps manage the boil over. I tried it and it works. It also controls the foaming during fermentation.

Back