Briess Blackprinz PPG

MobyDick

Premium Member
Reaction score
Am brewing a Czech Dark Lager that calls for .5# of Blackprinz as steeping grains. Blackprinz is in the list of grains, but its PPG is listed as 36. Was investigating my efficiency for my steeping process, and found discrepancies with what I achieved and what the editor said I should get. Presumed it was related to the default 35% efficiency which I see can be changed. In further investigation with the home brew rep at Briess, he indicated that I could expect very little if any sugar (thus PPG) from Blackprinz. He said 35 was way too high...possibly 3.5 PPG. Anyway, can this be changed by me, or must Brewer's Friend change this...appears I can only customize "fermentables"?
Thanks!

Blackprinz can't possibly be 35 ppg. That's approaching the yield of a base malt and Blackprinz has a lot of its sugars reduced by the intense roasting. I'd use a figure somewhere in the low 20's: 22ppg comes to mind for some reason - that's the yield at 85% efficiency. Use 25 ppg as a base for your calculations. But generally, unless you're using a lot of it, you can ignore its contribution - it's mostly used as a colorant.

Answer 2: You can use a custom fermentable. Question: Why are you using so much of it? Chew some: It tastes mostly like charcoal. It's primary purpose is as a colorant and to balance ph (it's highly acidic). I find, while it's not as nasty as black patent, it gives an unpleasant flavor at high concentrations.

most of the dark grains here with 500 or so color show 32 ppg, not % just 32 but I don't think most dark grain really contribute anything my self

Regarding quantity used...it's what the recipe called for...we shall see! Hope it's not bitter as you suggest!
Regarding my issue...can anyone from the Brewer's Friend web site address this issue?
Thanks,
MobyDick

Back