IBU calculation for hop stand

Grimsbylad

Trial Member
Reaction score
I I do not understand why the recipe editor calculates such high IBU contribution for a hop stand.If you add hops at flame out it gives an IBU contribution of zero but calculating a hopstand of say 15 mins at 10% gives the same IBU contribution as a 15 min boil. If you add hops at flame out and chill for 15 min aren't you effectively doing a hopstand?
Shouldn't the IBU for a hop stand especially at lower temps be MUCH lower?
Am I missing something here? (wouldn't be the first time!)

Well glad it's not just me but I would like some clarification/input,if possible.

just put 5 or even 0% for now, its very close, on some of mine I input 2%

Hey guys,

I was asking myself a few questions about this also :

- What's the difference between Aroma/Whirlpool hops ?
- At the end of my 60mn boil, I stop the heating, put my hops in, whirlpool for 10mn and hop stand for 20mn before transfering. Those 30mn happen at ~98°C. What should I choose ?
- Is it calculating the whirlpool ibu for any late hopping addition. Let's say I put a hop at 5mn, will it count the 30mn whirlpool for this hop ?

That's one of the blurry point for me, and I'd like an IBU calculation as precise as possible.

Cheers

EDIT : It seems there is a "No chill" option which would work to increase IBU during whirlpool. I don't really know if the calculation is the same as the boiling time or if it's only 50% less. Does anyone know the exact calculation ?

I think I'll just let the 10% utlization for WHP and a 30mn no chill for my recipe, it seems about right. IBUs might be a bit high, but it's just theory

Last edited:
I believe the calculator counts minutes from flame out untill hop stand temperature at around 80°/90°C, and that´s when it stops counting bittering. that´s why you can input the temperature of hop stand, lets say 100°C and porcentage of time de wort is around that temperature.. that´s my guess

I believe the calculator counts minutes from flame out untill hop stand temperature at around 80°/90°C, and that´s when it stops counting bittering. that´s why you can input the temperature of hop stand, lets say 100°C and porcentage of time de wort is around that temperature.. that´s my guess

It counts the time and temperature to calculate the IBUs.

Back