Grain colour in ECB

Si-Co Brewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would like to be able use the ECB colour rating for grain and beer. The stores that I purchase my grain from describe the colour in ECB. When putting a recipe together I then need to convert it in to Lovibond so that I can work out which option matches my grain. This is time consuming and frustrating.

Please could you allow an option to select the colour rating that you would like to use in your profile at which point the grain colour in the fermentables list would automatically be displayed in ECB or Lovibond. Alternatively, could you just list both Lovibond and EBC next to each grain.

Thanks

I also support this request. In my opinion, Brewer's Friend is a great tool, but has some unit conversion pitfalls. I always brew using European units, and for me ppg and lovibond make no sense. Please, convert them to sugar fermentable % and EBC.

I would also use Brewers Friend if it supported EBC as would many using European ingredients and standards

It is in there, under edit and more tab, also in your profile/defaults

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
It is in there, under edit and more tab, also in your profile/defaults

No, not really. That option will appear to select the equation for calculating the recipe colour. Even if that is useful, there are still two problems:

1) The label still says 'SRM' not 'EBC', although the number changes to EBC.
2) Ingredients under 'Fermentables' are still shown as Lovibond.

Although I do not have any strong preferences for Lovibond or EBC, I live in Europe, and everything around me operates on EBC: competition style guides, producers, brew shops etc.

Brewer's Friend is a great resource ... but the EBC-issue is the one major pain (in addition to ppg) that keeps me from using it, except for the occasionally double checking a recipe that I've worked on in another system. It is inferior to Brewer's Friend on some other points, but it does support EBC.

so what your saying is you went to your profile and general settings then "Recipe Editor Settings", changed everything and it still doesn't work?

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
so what your saying is you went to your profile and general settings then "Recipe Editor Settings", changed everything and it still doesn't work?

Yes, that only changes the colour of the beer, not the ingredients from the ingredients lists.

if under Recipe Editor Settings: in general settings are correct set to metric and you pull up a us based recipe and want it changed you have to manually change it in the recipe using edit units: and also more and anything under Equation, then at the bottom right Sugar Scale, then save it should work

Changing to EBC in profile settings works somewhat for the output beer color*, but does nothing at all for using EBC instead of Lovibond for ingredients, which is where it matters most since using an external converter is an irritating extra step.

* The numbers displayed in recipe viewer change to EBC values but are still labeled SRM.

I support this idea as the crystal colours don't match what is in my local shop.

Going to bump this to see if it can get any more traction. I know there are a lot of UK and European brewers who would love to have grain colour displayed in ECB in the fermentables drop down.

Thanks

When you switch units in recipe editor, not only does the color units not change but it also leaves ppg and doesn't change the weight of hops. I would expect changing the unit system would change all units.

Yep, a bit frustrating here in Australia as well, and confusing for a new all grain brewer. Please update this.

Back