KnuckleHead Brewing

KnuckleHead

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,
New to the site. I have been Extract Brewing for over a Year and am now moving into All-Grain.
I would like to learn how to create my own recipes. Any info on the learning how to create would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you're comfortable with extract brewing, look up extract to all grain conversion. Try to figure out how to convert your favorite recipes. That's what I did. It's not exact, but I like it. You'll use the same grains as the steeping grains in your extract recipe, maybe more. And you'll use the same hops.

SMaSH beers are also good (single malt, single hop) so you can isolate flavors of a particular ingredient

then you'll know what each one brings to the table when you combine them in a more complex recipe

How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time by John Palmer is a MUST read! I read from cover to cover before ever considering brewing a batch whole grain, and I am glad that I did! Understanding what you are doing and why is the key to success! Belgian Summer Saison works well for me this time of year in Austin, Texas! Zymergy is an amazing craft to learn! Good luck~

Thread drift alert!
BDgrainbrewer where are you in Austin?

jmcnamara..The "snippet" that you mentioned does not put emphasis on understanding the brewing process, but rather recipe refinement and selection. The importance of understanding the process entirely before beginning is what I was trying to convey!~ In answer to your question..I live in Llano County on Lake Buchanan..the heart of the Texas Hill Country.

Sorry, thought you said you wanted info on creating recipes. Other areas of that book /site definitely go over what you're looking for

Back