New Brewer dove in head first and landed on my head. Help!

Re: New Brewer dove in head first and landed on my head. He

Yup. You could even carb at room temperature, but it'll take longer to do

if you carbonate in the fridge and take it out, the pressure will expand the warmer it gets then when you put it back in don't try to open it or drink from it until it cools back down or else its a gusher and you lose a lot of beer

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
if you carbonate in the fridge and take it out, the pressure will expand the warmer it gets then when you put it back in don't try to open it or drink from it until it cools back down or else its a gusher and you lose a lot of beer

I wish I would have read this before I tapped this keg

That's why the half barrels you buy are stored refrigerated. Physics is physics.

Non-chambered fermentation can vary a lot depending on a few things:

Is the bucket sitting on carpet in a closet? On Tile in a laundry room? In a bathtub? The former is an insulating surface, the latter two conductive. A bucket on a tile floor can off load some of its fermentation heat from the fermenter that a carpet floor can't. A bucket in a bucket of water (fill the bathtub) can stabilize the temperature even more (moot for the guy now with a converted freezer, but hopefully helpful to others).

I made several batches that had these off flavors. Depending on the style of beer they either got better or they got worse. Lights, better, Darks, worse. After eliminating nearly everything else, temperature had to have been the culprit. Ever since I started using water baths and then a chamber, those boozy flavors have gone away.

BilliardGuy74 said:
Sorry, I live in central PA. Wish I could brew with some experienced brewers so I quit making drain cleaner. Lol. Btw, GO Browns!!!

I'm a little late to the party here, but I'm in central PA too. Happy to try to help.

LittleCrittersBrewing said:
BilliardGuy74 said:
Sorry, I live in central PA. Wish I could brew with some experienced brewers so I quit making drain cleaner. Lol. Btw, GO Browns!!!

I'm a little late to the party here, but I'm in central PA too. Happy to try to help.

Oh yeah, where abouts? Cold crashing right now. I'll know tomorrow.

BilliardGuy74 said:
Oh yeah, where abouts? Cold crashing right now. I'll know tomorrow.

In Palmyra for the last 6 years. A few other places before that.

I'm near Selinsgrove, PA. About an hour and 15 minutes from you. I used to deliver to the Redner's in Palmyra. I'm hoping this batch tastes ok. I'll taste it when I rack to the keg tomorrow and see if it's ok.

I doubt the credentials of your "brewmaster" chap. I accidentally poured a shot of straight star San into a beer and drank it and I didn't do me any plobboblems...
HaaaahaahahAAHAAhaA!

Don't be too concerned when stuff starts turning purple - it'll pass with a few weeks.... :)

Star-san, in reasonably small doses, is completely harmless and flavorless to boot!

Back