UPDATE
Recipe I ended up brewing (basically a double IPA I guess):

Batch size: 18.5L (4.88 gal)
3kg light DME (6.6 lb)
1kg brown cane sugar (2.2 lb)

160g Magnum (5.64 oz) - bittering 60min
60g Glacier (2.11 oz) aroma 10/5min

Fermentis T-58 yeast

Bucket temp as high as 25°C (77°F) for one day, then cooled to approx. 20 (68)

Into secondary after 25 days
Bottled a few days later.

OG: 1.080, FG: 1.009, ABV 9.32%, AA 88%

I don't know how objective I am, but it's got amazing taste - strong hops flavours playing around with the banana/spice/whatever taste from the yeast. Not to everyone's taste, I suspect, but me and my friends very much enjoyed it. I'm a novice taster too, so I can't tell how balanced etc. it is, but it does play with the palate.
Perhaps along the lines of Stone's Cali-Belgique Belgian IPA, for a mainstream comparison. I drank it too soon, it started to get really tasty after a month but I was already down to the last few bottles.

Lessons learned:
- don't try to boil 9 liters of high-gravity wort in a 10-liter kettle.

Hi there,

After 3 kits, I am planning to try an Extract brew, and I thought I'd ask the community for advice/feedback
My goal: about 20L (5 gallons?) of a light-colored beer that approaches an IPA, alcohol about 6.5%.
What I am planning on using:
Light/Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
Chinook hops for boiling
Glacier hops for aroma
Fermentis Safbrew T-58 yeast

I've played around with the calculator a bit, it seems I would need around 4kg (8lbs?) of dry malt extract. Maybe I can replace part of it with cane sugar - I don't know how bit of a difference that makes.

My main question is concerning the yeast. Is one standard pack enough? Does it make sense to use several packs? I haven't figured out how to quantify yeast yet...

Apart from that, I guess I am curious to know whether there are some obvious no-nos or caveats in this recipe that I can't see ^^

Last edited:
If I were brewing that, I'd only use one pack of yeast.

All right, so a standard pack shouldn't be "overwhelmed" by that amount of fermentables then.

I don't see your recipe as having a particularly high starting gravity. My highest gravity beer is a Holiday Ale at 1.079. One pack of S-05 does the job fine. Even my Belgian which is supposed to start out lower than than that but ends up higher does fine with one pack of yeast. A second pack wouldn't hurt it. It just makes for a more expensive beer.

I think T-58 is sort of Belgian in character and usually underpitched to develop esters. One packet should be plenty with any of those yeasts, anyway. You could re-hydrate to get a better pitch and strong start to the fermentation, maybe.
Given that it's probably going to develop a little character from the yeast, I wonder if the Chinook would get in the way of that and take over the flavor. I'm a fan of Chinook in any setting, but maybe lots of Glacier in the late additions with a little Magnum at 60 for proper bitterness would make a nice beer and let a little more of the yeast spiciness play with the subtle fruit flavors and aroma from the Glacier.

Adding any kind of straight sugar will dry the beer out, increase alcohol but not the body.

Good for a nice crisp pale ale or a Belgian beer

And I like your user name, but the north remembers!

Rehydrate the yeast and one pack will do fine at that gravity. If you sprinkle directly on top of the wort, use two: The instant immersion in the high sugar content environment kills off about half the cells. A packet of dried yeast contains about 200 billion yeast cells, a vial or smack-pack about 100 billion. Key is rehydration before pitching.

I use dry yeast for almost all of my recipes. I never rehydrate. I just dump it into the wort. It works. Sometimes I see activity 3 hours after pitching. If you feel better by rehydrating, by all means do it!

jeffpn said:
A second pack wouldn't hurt it. It just makes for a more expensive beer.

I guess I could spare 2$, but if it's not required, why go there

J A said:
I wonder if the Chinook would get in the way of that and take over the flavor. I'm a fan of Chinook in any setting, but maybe lots of Glacier in the late additions with a little Magnum at 60 for proper bitterness would make a nice beer and let a little more of the yeast spiciness play with the subtle fruit flavors and aroma from the Glacier.

I'm a little tired, so bear with me: are you suggesting replacing the Chinook with Magnum for the boil? Or would you add Magnum at the very end?

jmcnamara said:
Adding any kind of straight sugar will dry the beer out, increase alcohol but not the body.

Good for a nice crisp pale ale or a Belgian beer

And I like your user name, but the north remembers!

Dry and crisp doesn't sound that bad... I guess I'll try and see how it feels.

Poor Ashara, Ned probably threw her out of the window himself just to make the story believable (a bit off-character, I'll agree)

jeffpn said:
If you feel better by rehydrating, by all means do it!

I do feel better rehydrating, if only because it just feels like a nice thing to do for all those millions of little critters. Plus it's not that much effort.

I think he meant remove the Chinook entirely and use just magnum for bittereing. As I understand it, magnum is fairly neutral flavor wise so it wouldn't be too helpful late in the boil

AsharaDayne said:
I'm a little tired, so bear with me: are you suggesting replacing the Chinook with Magnum for the boil? Or would you add Magnum at the very end?

Exactly what jmcnamara said...Chinook is a great bittering hop, but with a bold piney flavor. Magnum carries a deep, smooth classic hoppy bitter throughout the flavor profile. It's a go-to hop because a little goes a long way and it tends to enhance other hop flavors without getting in the way.
But definitely find a way to use Chinook in a classic American Pale or IPA.
I gotta get to work on a Chinook/Centennial Pale. ;)

I think he meant remove the Chinook entirely and use just magnum for bittereing. As I understand it, magnum is fairly neutral flavor wise so it wouldn't be too helpful late in the boil

Exactly what jmcnamara said...Chinook is a great bittering hop, but with a bold piney flavor. Magnum carries a deep, smooth classic hoppy bitter throughout the flavor profile. ;)

Thanks for the explanations guys. Magnum it is. I can always try something more adventurous on a further brew.

I'll wait for temperatures to fall a bit before tackling this. Maybe start some cider to keep the bucket busy.

AsharaDayne said:
Thanks for the explanations guys. Magnum it is. I can always try something more adventurous on a further brew.
I always keep an ounce or two of Magnum around for 60 minute additions. I end up using a quarter ounce in most 5 gallon recipes, maybe a half ounce in a fairly hoppy Pale or IPA. I think some European styles benefit from a large quantity of low-alpha noble hops at 60 to develop a lot of deep hop flavor, but Magnum provides a smooth bitter base for showing off American hops in the late additions.
AsharaDayne said:
I'll wait for temperatures to fall a bit before tackling this. Maybe start some cider to keep the bucket busy.
If you use a plastic bucket for cider, you may have unwanted apple flavor in your subsequent beers. Maybe a good soak in PBW would get rid of it, but you might do a little research to see if it could be a problem.

you could always do a swamp cooler. i've got one going now for a pale ale. brewed saturday, started bubbling that night. yesterday it was gushing out the airlock when i came home. kinda scary how much gas is coming out

anyway, swapping bottles of frozen water in and out every couple of hours, i managed to get a good 10F below room temperature (in the water, not the wort). about 66-68

Using several packs may not turned out as well as using a particular one, especially the dry one.

AsharaDayne said:
jeffpn said:
If you feel better by rehydrating, by all means do it!

I do feel better rehydrating, if only because it just feels like a nice thing to do for all those millions of little critters. Plus it's not that much effort.

I rehydrate when using dry yeast only because I like starting with twice as many yeast cells. Less chance of getting off flavors that way.

This part of this thread has probably run its course enough to ask a tangential question. Why do you suppose that Brewer's Best explicitely states in their instructions not to rehydrate, even though the included packet of yeast gives instructions for rehydrating?

Back