(DONE) Auto Inventory quantity removal?

Lionheart

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I love the inventory feature. Is there a way when you brew a recipe it could auto deduct the grains, hops, extract, ect. that is stored in inventory?

Re: Auto Inventory quantity removal?

Yes! That is on the TODO list, not sure what release it will go into.

Awesome! This site rocks!

Lionheart said:
Awesome! This site rocks!

Glad someone already brought this up - I was thinking the same thing.

Totally agree - this site DOES rock!

Support for deducting from inventory (with option not to, and override for each qty), will be going out in the next release. On the Brew screen a table will come up with the ingredients the system matched between the recipe and your inventory. This was a bit challenging because of all the unit conversions in play.

By the way, we wrote the backend logic in such a way so it lays the ground work for adding a recipe to a shopping list, then converting the shopping list to inventory.

Attachments

• inventorydeduction.png
    inventorydeduction.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,805

I like this too.

Awesome!

The inventory deduction option is now live. Try it out and let us know how it goes.

LarryBrewer said:
The inventory deduction option is now live. Try it out and let us know how it goes.

I just used the inventory deduction on my recipe (I think this feature is great!), but for some reason it deducted everything but the hops.

I have 250g of Cascade in my inventory and my recipe asks for 130g, but it didn't get deducted.

Double check the AA and hop type. It has to be an exact match. When you go to the Brew screen it will show you if it matched it up or not.

Ah, makes sense. The AA is different in the recipe from what I bought (7% vs 7.3%).

Maybe I should have made a snapshot of the recipe and updated the AA in it. But then it would be too late, because the deduction would have already occurred, right?

In practice, the AA from hops you buy will almost always differ from the one in the recipe. And it doesn't make much sense to adjust the actual recipe every time you brew it, just because the AA is different, does it?

What do you think?

Depends on how far off the AA value is. In that case, it is high by ~4%.

I have seen cases where Hallertaur was around 5.5 AA and the recipe called for 4 AA, so that was a 37% difference - enough to probably notice.

Right, the snapshot is created after the fact. We could relax the AA match and just do the deduction based on variety and hop type only.

Any thoughts on that?

LarryBrewer said:
Depends on how far off the AA value is. In that case, it is high by ~4%.

I have seen cases where Hallertaur was around 5.5 AA and the recipe called for 4 AA, so that was a 37% difference - enough to probably notice.

I meant to adjust the snapshot recipe without adjusting the original one. I think the original recipe should not be changed each time the AA of your hops change. What you should do is to adjust the hops you *use* when brewing the recipe, according to the actual AA of your hops.

Right, the snapshot is created after the fact. We could relax the AA match and just do the deduction based on variety and hop type only.

Any thoughts on that?

Not sure this would be ideal, because I may end up using more (or less) hops depending on my actual AA.

What about deducing the ingredients from the inventory "as we go". When you mark mash complete, you deduce the malt (according to the snapshot, in case something was changed); when you finish the boil, deduce hops and other things that are added at that time; and so on.

Would that be too complicated? Maybe not really worth all the trouble? I'm just throwing in ideas here, I think the deductions are already great as it is. But as a true nerd, I usually go into too much nitpicking. :ugeek:

Interesting idea that when you check off certain steps it would use up inventory. Not everyone uses the brew steps feature though. I think we'll just leave it as-is for now, or maybe have an 'ignore hops AA' checkbox on the inventory deduction section.

Being new to the software, correct me if I'm wrong.

But what if you give us the ability to create a recipe with inventory? If I select a hop that I have two different AA versions for, give me the choice to select which I want.

Or give this option when I go to brew it offering me the option to select which version I want?

The hops section in the recipe editor will default the AA to the last one with that name listed in your inventory.

The system could look in your inventory and offer alternatives, but given this is a corner case, I'm not sure it would get used that much. Not to mention, it could throw off the IBUs quite a bit. I think the brewer should be in control of the recipe design the entire time.

We'd need to identify additional corner cases, like this one, and see how often they present a problem. There are bigger items related to other aspects of the system to get to in the short/medium run.

Back