(DONE) Recipe Share with custom URL

kblankenship11

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Some of my recipes are works in progress. I dont like to share anything on the recipe database of brewers friend unless I've brewed it and it's tasty. A lot of times I'd like to share a recipe I've entered in Brewers Friend with a friend or on a forum. As of right now (from what I've found), I have to either share it to the recipe database or export it to html/text to send somewhere.

It would make life a little easier if there was a way to export it to a custom URL that would be accessible to everyone that I sent it to, whether they were a BF member or not. They simply click on the link and check it out.
If my buddy and I were working together on a recipe, he could add notes to it or edit it (with my permission). It would send new people to the site and keep the recipe database from getting cluttered with works in progress.

Re: Recipe Share with custom URL

Makes sense. We can create a shared link to the recipe that will allow others to view, but it won't be in the public recipe database.

Allowing others to edit would be tricky, especially revolving around trial accounts and security. They could copy the recipe and share back their version though.

LarryBrewer said:
Makes sense. We can create a shared link to the recipe that will allow others to view, but it won't be in the public recipe database.

I like this. I used this a lot for sharing Facebook albums when I was still using FB. That way I can also put those nifty QR codes on labels for beers that I bring to a club meeting w/o making the recipe public.

Kai

We could have the app build appropriate QR codes.

This will be a cool feature indeed!

I'm a newbie so I always ask for comments on my recipes. What I've been doing is that I share the recipe and write in the notes that it is WIP. But it will still show up and bloat the recipe search results...

If a recipe is experimental and I share it, I name it as such. Sometimes I do want to share experiments to the world. This upgrade makes sense though.

LarryBrewer said:
If a recipe is experimental and I share it, I name it as such. Sometimes I do want to share experiments to the world. This upgrade makes sense though.

Good point, I will do it from now on.

But still, they will bloat the results. Maybe you could somehow add a field we could mark "Experimental" and make it possible to filter the results out? Or maybe filter on number of completed brew sessions? ;)

Re: (NEXT RELEASE) Recipe Share with custom URL

Yeah it makes sense to put this into the next release. Stay tuned! :cool:

This is now live, look for the new checkboxes inside the Share dialog on the Recipe Editor, under the Recipe Tools menu.

I just used this to help a customer with a recipe they were designing! :cool:

Back