Other Malts

mtyp

Trial Member
Reaction score
It would be great to be able to add other Malts, without using the custom fermentables. And also have them saved.

I'm in New Zealand and we primarily use Gladfield Malts. I'd imagine other countries have other suppliers. I do know that Beersmith has the Gladfields Profiles, don't know if importing that file is a go\no go?

Salute!

I have added all of the Gladfield malts to "My Inventory" so that they now appear in the Fermentables drop down box. They appear at the top of the list under the title My Custom Fermentables.

The specs for Gladfield's malt are all on their website along with a downloadable file designed for importing into Beersmith so it should be easy for Josh to add them. Could even just take the entry's I have made and add them to the main list of Fermentables so they are accessible by everyone.

That would be great! How do we make this happen?

Not actually using the inventory at the moment, I order as I go.

Under the My Inventory tab you are able to add items to your inventory. Click "Add Inventory" and select custom fermentable and enter the details of the malt and save. You do not actually need to enter an amount, but once saved the malt will appear in the Fermentables drop down drop down box in the recipe editor.

Below is a screenshot of my inventory with all of the Gladfield malts and another showing the Gladfield malts in the Fermentables drop down box in the recipe editor.

Attachments

• My Inventory.tiff
    491.4 KB · Views: 1,654
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 6.14.13 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 6.14.13 pm.png
    242.2 KB · Views: 1,944
I've been working on adding more ingredients lately, but the fermentable catalog has been built to support generic ingredients based on Country, but not by brand. I'm planning a way to expand this so we can start surfacing specific brands of fermentables like we do for Hops, Yeast, etc. This will be a pretty large change, so it will take some time before we can make it happen. In the mean time, I suggest using the inventory approach that Patricio outlined.

Thanks for the replies.
Josh is there anyway to export\import inventories?
Or can we just create a recipe with all ingredients that is shared?

Unfortunately not; currently the inventory is tied to one account without the ability to import/export. Honestly an import/export feature would probably be the same complexity as just getting the ingredient system up to the point where custom ingredients can be fully integrated, so we'll likely focus on the latter to get this working for everyone as soon as we can.

So custom ingredients don't transfer when copying a shared recipe?

Be nice if that worked in the short term, but I guess I'll have to wait for the changes.

Thanks Josh, enjoying using the website :)

Any news on when this update will happen? It would be great to have Gladfield Malts available.

Looking for the Gladfield Malts? This zip file contains a beerxml recipe, import it into BrewersFriend and allow it to add to your custom inventory...
You can delete the recipe afterwards as the custom inventory items will stick around.
This data is based on info from Gladfieldmalt.co.nz website.
Cheers
Rick

Attachments

• Gladfield Malts BrewersFriend.zip
    2 KB · Views: 168
Ahh I see. So the Gladfield malts are listed as New Zealand - {Malt Name} ok cool. My mistake, I was searching for Gladfield specifically. Cool thanks

Back