HellaNutella Milk Stout

Saturday brew day: First wort hops...

Attachments

• IMG_2206.JPG
    IMG_2206.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 844
LarryBrewer said:
What is Justin Bieber doing in your garage??! :roll:

I work for an online sign printer, and a couple of years ago we printed JB and Lady Caca—er, I mean Lady Gaga lifesize standups for a company party... I had them print an extra one to bring home to my (then) 5-year-old daughter who, to this day, claims she hates JB but "likes his songs..." Yeah, okay, I can live with that... Anyway, JB lives in the garage until one of my daughter's friends is over for a play date and he gets to come in the house for a dance.

Now, back to the important stuff... :twisted:

Hopefully they grow out of it soon!! If your daughter likes JB, we'll that's very sweet of you as a dad, and I'd probably do the same. Cheers! :D

Saturday brewday: Yeast monster meets its match...

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 814
Saturday brewday: Target OG: 1.073 ... Not bad, I'd say!

Attachments

• IMG_2229.JPG
    IMG_2229.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 846
Saturday brew day: I thought I would use this styrofoam box as a fermentation chamber since the 6.5 gallon carboy in a milk crate fits perfectly leaving room for the lid... When I came out to check on it in the morning, it was holding at about 63º F, and showed no signs of activity, so I moved it inside the house to warm it up a bit... After about 6 hours and rising to between 68–70º, it took off!

Attachments

• 36 hours in 012113.jpeg
    36 hours in 012113.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 852
  • 24 hours in 012013.jpg
    24 hours in 012013.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_2226.JPG
    IMG_2226.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 826
Excellent! That's a huge blow off tube. I've noticed with dark beers there is always more blow off.

It surely is a thing of beauty. I like the venturi system you have there, i assume this is aerating the wort into the fermenter.....? was this a DIY gadget or something new?
Keep it coming, great stuff

The venturi is simply two pieces of 3/8" ID siphon hose and a piece of 3/8" OD poly tubing about 6" long inserted between with three paper clip-sized holes to draw air in. I tried it on a whim after reading the thread about the trick on HBT (linked on the YouTube page), and I'm sold. Beats the crap out of shaking a full glass carboy to aerate wort. There are a lot of different configurations, but the simple approach I've used worked really well.

So it's Friday morning, and this monster is STILL burping CO2 at a rate of a belch every 4 seconds... :twisted:

I was going to wait a couple more days to take a reading, but the regular bubbling you saw from earlier had me curious... 1.034 at one week? My target is 1.017... Am I gonna get there, I wonder?

Attachments

• 1.034 at One Week 012713.JPG
    1.034 at One Week 012713.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 977
I made a milk stout once, only to find out that lactose gives me gas.. :oops: ....I gave most of that batch away. Just remember to warn everyone who samples your brew that it has lactose in it. There are alot of lactose intolorant folks that it would really mess up.

i think it's mainly barley that give me the extra "seat of the pants Kick", i've never been a big milk drinker but i do enjoy a good Chocolate Milk Stout from time to time :)

Ask and ye shall receive...

I'm calling it 1.026. That puts me in the neighborhood of 6.45% ABV, so I'm a bit more happy with that. The sample tastes and smells great, BTW. Still, I'm waiting until next weekend to put it in secondary. If it drops anymore before then, it'll be a bonus.

And don't flame me over secondaries! I think it helps to clear and cleanup much more. A couple of people who had my last batch went on about how clear and "fully pourable" it was from the bottle. I figger if it ain't broken, don't fix it. :mrgreen:

So what do you'all think? My target FG was 1.017... Make a bigger starter next time, maybe? This was also my first time using lactose—could it have maybe negatively affected fermentation? Not that I've ever heard it would, but as it's a new thing for me, I thought it might be worthy of the question.

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 920

Back