Gurgling tap handle

jmcnamara said:
thanks, i think this is all slowly starting to make sense for me

another question though, how do you know when it's "ready", i.e. carbing is done? For a mash, you can do an iodine test, for gravity a hydrometer reading, but what is there for a keg? just pour a beer and see how it is? trial and error on my part?

Totally trial and error and preference. I have a friend that tells me my beer is always under-carbonated. I point out the many bubbles working their way up the glass while he says this. ;)

Let me tell you this, see if it helps. Last Friday, I kegged a batch for my wife. Strawberry ale, but that's not relevant here. I connected a 30 lb CO2 line until until Sunday afternoon. Then I relieved the pressure and I connected a 9 pound line. I drew a pitcher to share with the neighborhood ladies (and effeminate men :lol: ). It was barely carbonated. Today (Thursday, same week as the Sunday), it is properly carbed, in my opinion.

jeffpn said:
Let me tell you this, see if it helps. Last Friday, I kegged a batch for my wife. Strawberry ale, but that's not relevant here. I connected a 30 lb CO2 line until until Sunday afternoon. Then I relieved the pressure and I connected a 9 pound line. I drew a pitcher to share with the neighborhood ladies (and effeminate men :lol: ). It was barely carbonated. Today (Thursday, same week as the Sunday), it is properly carbed, in my opinion.

What temp do you serve at? I serve at 34F. Some people serve 40+... :?

It's set for 2°C (35.6°F). No fan in the keezer, so I think different kegs have different temps. Some feel colder than others when I drink them. My probe is in a half gallon bottle of water in the center of the keezer.

I usually do a bit of a rolling force carbonate when I keg from the fermenter (at room temperature) just to ensure a good seal on my keg. That probably gets me a little head-start when I put it into the kegerator.

Back