What are you drinking right now?

I'm really looking forward to my Altbier coming out of cold-conditioning. Had a taste this weekend while checking the gravity - yummy! Otherwise, same old same old.... Newly minted Mild last night.

Drinking a slightly modified version of nosybear's sourdough blonde. I only bottled it Saturday, but it's nicely carbonated already. It's...got a lot of things going on. Definitely a beginning middle and end. Still good, but clearly needs time to meld
I'll have to try it again tomorrow, already had a few tonight and I need to recalibrate the testing equipment

Drinking my English mild, its young but still great, good thing I made 10 gallons lol

Just cracked open the first of my 90° Saison 2.2: Mandarina hops give it a really nice tangerine flavor to go along with the citrus and phenols the yeast produce. Looking forward to it when it's fully conditioned in about 2-3 weeks....

Sipping on a "Busting out Stout". Haven't brewed a lot of stouts but would compare this with a 5X Stout from Seattle I had a while back. Strong dark malt character.

My first batch of Helles is starting to lager in pretty well. Having one right now and it's just not bad at all!
The WLP860 seems to develop a little bit of fruitiness and I think that's getting picked up by the Saphir hops - mild, slightly sweet citrus - in the aroma. I think that along with the few extras in the grain bill ( some Vienna, touch of Carapils and Melanoidin) and probably imprecise mash temp/mashout has given me a little more residual than I'd like. The malt is starting to really come through, and the light hoppiness from the Hallertau and Tettnanger is starting to assert itself as well.
It's a little hard to judge it very critically because this one goes down so easy and is gone before I know it, but I think it's a pretty damn good beer and it's getting better all the time.
Now all I have to do is leave enough of them in the fridge to find out what happens after a suitably long period of lagering. ;)

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
yes beer will only get better with time, good luck

Only if it's not all guzzled long before it's had time to mature. :D
I've managed to age a few things out, but if they're really working for me, it's hard to let too many sit. There have been a few crappy extract beers that just never tasted great and those tend to sit for a while before I revisit.
The lesson I've taken away from that is that it's worth waiting for good beer to get even better, but it's not really worth spending months waiting for bad beer to get good. ;)

I have been sipping on my English mild for a couple of days, its getting better every day but its lower in alcohol and you have a few then all the sudden you've had too many without warning and its time to quit lol, those are the best :D

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
I have been sipping on my English mild for a couple of days, its getting better every day but its lower in alcohol and you have a few then all the sudden you've had too many without warning and its time to quit lol, those are the best :D

Yeah...those small beers can definitely sneak up. For some reason, I tend to feel the effect of homebrew quicker than a lot of commercial beers, or at least that's the way it seems. I'm probably just really diggin' it and having the first few sips quicker than I might normally and it goes to my head. Not in a bad way, just quicker buzz...not always my main reason for having a beer, but no reason to complain. ;)
I often end up "evaluating" a couple of extras when I have several in the pipe or break out a few extras when I'm sharing with friends. When we end up having a few too many, I've never had a hangover from homebrew. I suppose it's the yeast in suspension or something, but I've never had a headache or felt rotten from a tying one on with homebrew. :)

J A said:
When we end up having a few too many, I've never had a hangover from homebrew. I suppose it's the yeast in suspension or something, but I've never had a headache or felt rotten from a tying one on with homebrew. :)
Wish I could say the same! The ABV has always had something to do with it (working on getting down to <6% this summer), but more than 3x 0.5l bottles of my home-brew (normally in combination with a couple commercial beers) has always been a recipe for a bit of a hang-over in my book.

sbaclimber said:
Wish I could say the same! The ABV has always had something to do with it (working on getting down to <6% this summer), but more than 3x 0.5l bottles of my home-brew (normally in combination with a couple commercial beers) has always been a recipe for a bit of a hang-over in my book.

That would do it! :lol: I've mostly concentrated on beers in the sub-6% range (though I have a few that are 6+) and for summer I've done a lot of beers that are starting out less than 1.050 and ending up at 4.5 or so. It's hot as hell here in Texas in July and August, so slamming some ice-cold beers in fairly quick succession is a survival skill. :D

I've got a Kölsch and a Spotted Cow currently keg conditioning right now. Sampled them both. Kölsch is ready, Spotted Cow will be a couple more days. Full pint of each, of course. Tough to sample just a little bit, don't you think? Maybe I'll just pull a pint of each of the 6 that are currently tapped. Talk about super sizing a flight!

Just at the back end of a maintenance shutdown at work and have spent the last few days 'testing' a lager that is hitting its straps right now! If I keep drinking at this pace I might need to consider upgrading my setup!

jeffpn said:
I've got a Kölsch and a Spotted Cow currently keg conditioning right now. Sampled them both. Kölsch is ready, Spotted Cow will be a couple more days. Full pint of each, of course. Tough to sample just a little bit, don't you think? Maybe I'll just pull a pint of each of the 6 that are currently tapped. Talk about super sizing a flight!

Good work, man! Six pints seems like quite a task, but it sounds like you may be up to it. :lol:

BTW...what Kolsch recipe are you using? Yeast?
As soon as I can clear out my brewing schedule, I want to concentrate on refininig my Kolsch recipe. It's just about my favorite style and my Kolsch been one of my best brews, but can stand some improvement, I'm sure.

I just shared my Kölsch recipe. You can find it here.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... iew/253855

It's a conglomeration of different Kölsch recipes I saw. I have a friend who said she like it better than some of the Kölsch beers she had in Cologne, but she may have been drunk at the time! Anyway, it is a recipe I always try to keep on hand.

Interesting...a little dark Munich. I've got a pretty good chunk of Vienna and a touch or wheat in mine, but I'm tempted to mash a few 100% Pilsner batches so I can really zone in on the mash temp and technique.
The reason I asked about the yeast is that my friend and I used a German Ale yeast (don't remember whether it was the Wyeast or WhiteLabs) for an Alt Ale and it turned out really oddly fruity. Probably just too warm in the fermentation temp, but I didn't like it at all. I've used Fermentis K-97for my Kolsch and it seems to be a solid choice so far.
Thanks for sharing. ;)

I'm a sucker for Kölsch. I'm out to dinner with my wife, and the tap house has a Mad Tree Lift Kölsch. Very hoppy. I've had pale ales that were less hoppy than this. I think I'll wait for my own to be ready.

And the waitress just came back, beer in hand. "I'm so sorry, I grabbed the wrong beer. That one is on me. Here's your Kölsch." :lol:

jeffpn said:
I'm a sucker for Kölsch. I'm out to dinner with my wife, and the tap house has a Mad Tree Lift Kölsch. Very hoppy. I've had pale ales that were less hoppy than this. I think I'll wait for my own to be ready.
If it's that hoppy it ain't a Kölsch but hey, if it tastes good, drink it. After all, to quote Will: What's in a name? I keep thinking of brewing a German pale ale, basically a very hoppy Kölsch. Nice to know it works.

Drinking now: 90 degree Farmhouse Saison v2.2, this time with Mandarina hops for flavor rather than Hull Melon. I like layering fruity hops over the Saison base and the Mandarina, with its tangerine flavor, is a winner in this style.

Back