Starsan

Reaction score
Hi,
I have resently brewed 20L of brown ale.
All things perfekt and fermentation working as good as always,
however two weeks later when checking FG this was not nearly as low as i had expected.
There were also a hint of sour smell from the batch.
My question is if use of too strong solution with Starsan can have made an impact ?
I have recently used a stronger mixture of Starsan ,as i am terrified of infection :)

BR.
NN

Stavangers Lille Bryggeri said:
Hi,
I have resently brewed 20L of brown ale.
All things perfekt and fermentation working as good as always,
however two weeks later when checking FG this was not nearly as low as i had expected.
There were also a hint of sour smell from the batch.
My question is if use of too strong solution with Starsan can have made an impact ?
I have recently used a stronger mixture of Starsan ,as i am terrified of infection :)

BR.
NN

In answer to your question no there is pretty much zero chance of it being the star san causing problems. i once had a dime bar moment and poured about 25ml of straight star san directly into my about to be bottled lager instead of the bottling bucket (Dooooooh!) and even that wasnt very noticable except a bit of an extra acid burn at the back of your throat that may have been imagination.
However that said using an overly strong solution is not to be recommended in general and wont do you any favours as far as i know.

If you have a kind of filmy/oily thing going on on the surface of the beer my advice would be to bottle and prime (with a bit less sugar than normal) immediately, filling bottles right to the surface, as you may have acetobacter infection which needs oxygen to grow (assuming you cant purge o2 from your fermentor). Most likely its just a bit of co2 in your nose smelling sour and higher FG either the result of mashing too hot or temperature being off for fermentation to complete properly. assuming the yeast all settled and no more activity at all?
You could try swirling the yeast about a bit and raising the temperature a bit and seeing if it starts up again but i'd doubt it. or just leave it.
Usually just leaving it makes it all better. like spots

by the way if you do have an infection id expect gravity to be even lower than expected so maybe just being sluggish if all is perfekt as you say.
Disclaimer: if you have an infection and follow my advice tyou may need to bring in the bomb squad periodically during bottle conditioning.

Back