Higher gravity less sugar for bottling?

Jship

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am brewing a Belgian tripel not realizing boil off my first beer has a higher gravity than intended its a kit and has a pre determined sugar pack will it affect my bottleing having to much or not enough carbonation if i dont adjust the sugar when bottling?

The amount of priming sugar is determined by the volume of beer being bottled and existing carbonation level of the beer. It's got some CO2 in it already, in other words. Your bigger concern is how much beer you are bottling. What is the volume supposed to be, and what do you really have?

Thanks its slightly over four gallons before i bought a kit and jumped right in i boiled about three gallons of water with the LME,DME,dextrose and it had a bag of speciality grains i steeped before the boil after i boiled it off i added it to the rest of the five gallons of water i had prepared left

The pack of sugar included with this kit is not a measured amount meant for bottle carbonating this particular beer. The pack contains 5 ounces or slightly more dextrose. Usually you will use less sugar than is in the pack for 5 gallons of beer.

This is one of the available calculators to use.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Thanks guys. Sorry for the noob questions i should of did more reading before jumping in with both feet. Thats were im at now reading like crazy and writing everything down.

No problem. When I brewed kits, they came with 5 ounce packs of sugar. I always used it all. I'm sure my volumes varied from 4.5-5.5 gallons. You'll get there. Just takes practice.

I used the Northern Brewer calculator before the Brewer's Friend calculator was available. It works well. I don't see the problem in someone posting the one they used - it could serve as a cautionary tale in case the other calculator produced a horribly wrong result which, in this case, I doubt it did.

Nosybear said:
I used the Northern Brewer calculator before the Brewer's Friend calculator was available. It works well. I don't see the problem in someone posting the one they used - it could serve as a cautionary tale in case the other calculator produced a horribly wrong result which, in this case, I doubt it did.

this is not directed at the OP or anyone else for that matter but I think its funny how often people post on this forum asking about other software or other ways of checking results based on brewing when in fact there on the forum designed to help people for the brewers friend software :D

Jship said:
Thanks guys. Sorry for the noob questions i should of did more reading before jumping in with both feet. Thats were im at now reading like crazy and writing everything down.

sometimes that's the best way to learn! remember, you have to really actively try hard to not make beer. not saying you'll make great beer all the time, but our ancestors were doing it way before any of this fancy stuff we have now. with this forum and other info out there, you're a huge step ahead of them

Back