Double IPA

I can't access your recipe - it says that it's marked private. Hard to go wrong with Citra and Cascade.

I tried to make it public but here is the recipe just in case it didnt work

double IPA
Added By: drunkdentist
Method: Extract
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)
Original Gravity: 1.070 Final Gravity: 1.018 ABV (standard): 6.9% IBU (tinseth): 72.65 SRM (morey): 11.15

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
9.3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Light 35 4 78.8%
1 lb Honey 42 2 8.5%
10.3 lb Total

Steeping Grains
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
4 oz American - Aromatic Malt 35 20 2.1%
12 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 6.4%
8 oz American - Victory 34 28 4.2%

Hops
Amount Variety Time AA IBU Type Use
0.5 oz Cascade 60 min 8.9 9.22 Leaf/Whole Boil
1 oz Chinook 60 min 12.1 27.56 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz Cascade 50 min 8.9 8.76 Leaf/Whole Boil
0.5 oz cascade 45 min 6.8 7.11 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz Centennial 30 min 8.7 7.62 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz cascade 20 min 6.8 4.69 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz Centennial 10 min 8.7 3.59 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz Cascade 5 min 8.9 1.84 Leaf/Whole Boil
1 oz Crystal 5 min 4.1 1.86 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz Cascade 1 min 8.9 0.4 Leaf/Whole Boil
3 oz citra 10 days 15.6 Leaf/Whole Dry Hop

Yeast
Wyeast - American Ale 1056

Notes
Add 1lb of honey to wort after it has cooled below 100 degrees. Use 3 oz of citra leaf hops in secondary for dry hopping.

Looks pretty good. I might move the 45 and 50 minute Cascade additions to later in the boil, or even to the dry hop, but I'm sure it will be good as it is

You know, I just noticed the note on the honey addition. Shouldn't you put that in while the wort is hot enough to sterilize it?

It is close to the IIPA range!

Aromatic malt is strong, so I think 4oz is appropriate.

The honey addition will probably get lost either in the boil, or during primary fermentation, not to mention all those hops. I wouldn't worry about adding the honey, and just do more LME. If your goal is a honey sweetness, you could try up to 1 pound of honey malt, or for a more caramel note, try 4oz of Carastan malt.

Hops schedule should be pretty delicious. That 5 types of hops. The cyrstal will smooth it out some. The citra dry hop, in such a huge amount, should give a strong mango like flavor.

Let us know how it turns out!

Oh, are you making a yeast starter?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... double-ipa
Think I got it right now. I have done a lot of reading on when to add honey. I don't want to boil the honey because then it will lose its flavor and basically be sugar. It seems a lot of people have had good success putting it in the cooled wort before pinching the yeast. This way it keeps some of its flavor. I am hoping to get a subtle taste from the honey while also increasing the ABV. I appreciate all the comments. I hope to start brewing this soon. I have a cream ale in the secondary and an irish stout in the primary. This weekend I am planning on bottling the cream ale and switch the irish stout to the secondary. Then the primary will be freed up for the IPA.

About the yeast. This is the first time I am using a liquid yeast. The Wyeast says it has a built in activator so you don't have to make a starter. I guess I will find out how it works soon enough. When using dry yeast, I always made a starter and recently used yeast nutrients. The irish stout fermented so vigorously it came out of the airlock.

Cool, the recipe is now public! Let us know if the honey flavor comes through, I'd be interested to know if it is detectable in this recipe. It may be a bit of an infection risk adding it below pasteurization temp. It came out of a bee hive - who knows where the bees were landing prior. Another approach would be to add at flame out.

Wyeast 1056 is the Chico strain from California. The dry yeast, Safale US-05 is the same strain. For more info on 1056:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/whats-d ... -a-140173/

As for the yeast pitch rate, this is critical. Check out our yeast pitch calculator:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

A pro yeast pitch rate will ensure it goes quickly and there are no off flavors, stuck ferments, etc. Mastering yeast pitch rates is one key to taking your beer to the next level. Fermentation temperature is the other. Shoot for 62F to get a clean profile, higher if you want esters. I get a peachy/tart and sometimes sour tint with this strain at 68F.

I have a starter going right now for my next batch, which is a lager. Since lagers need more yeast, this is a 3 liter starter. A stir plate with stir bar, and a 1 gallon jug, and a little DME is all it takes.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/08/19 ... r-og-1040/

Might be a little late on this post for brewing this IPA but the Honey malt Larry mentioned is a wonderful malt to add that "honey" trend. To me I call it a malty sweetness but whatever you call it, the malt stands alone in what it does for a beer. Use caution with it because it will over sweeten easily in something like an IPA.

Well today is the brew day. I'm excited to see how this one turn out. I'm interested to see how the honey works out. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

Back