I visited a brewery today!

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Leaving soon for 7 Locks Brewing in Rockville MD.

We haven't been yet, but have heard good things

I visit a brewery once a week! I'm lucky. It's a small one, but this one has big heart. ;-)

Reporting back, live at the scene.

The rye pa is good, the pale ale is spectacular. Not too big or versed on saisons or farmhouse ales, but their saison and strong ale were darn good.

Nice people, and the brewer took is on an ad hoc tour.

Definitely a cool place!

I have 6 in the general area including Budweiser head quarters, local "Mothers brewery", and Boulevard Brewing Co... cant decide hmmm

In the town where I was born
Lived a man who liked to drink
And he told us of his life
In the land of breweries
So we sailed up to the sun
Till we found the sea of wort
And we lived beneath the hops
In our nano brewery
We all live in a nano brewery
Nano brewery, nano brewery
And our friends are all on board
Many more of them bring their mugs
And the band begins to play
[Full speed ahead, Mr. Parker, full speed ahead!
Full speed over here, sir!
Boil over! Boil over!
Aye, aye, sir, flame out!
Heaven! Heaven!]

Nice Jeff, how sad / fortunate that I knew what you were ripping on from just the first line

I thought of the refrain as I was reading this thread. The rest was quickly done! I'm especially proud of the ending.

jeffpn said:
In the town where I was born
Lived a man who liked to drink
And he told us of his life
In the land of breweries
So we sailed up to the sun
Till we found the sea of wort
And we lived beneath the hops
In our nano brewery
And our friends are all on board
Many more of them bring their mugs
And the band begins to play
[Full speed ahead, Mr. Parker, full speed ahead!
Full speed over here, sir!
Boil over! Boil over!
Aye, aye, sir, flame out!
Heaven! Heaven!]

Thank you for that! It was a long day in work and that brought a smile to my face :lol: :lol: :lol:

is this the official brewery thread? I went to 5 today in St. Louis. Started at Anheuser Busch, home of the 200 gazillion gallon system, nbd. Actually had a decent SMaSH beer for free in their biergarten, brewed with Hull Melon. Wasn't a huge fan of that hop. Then went to Urban Chestnut, and followed by Urban Chestnut's other brewery in the city. Civil Life Brewing, and finished at 4 Hands Brewing.

drank 10 beers today.

Key Brewing in Dundalk MD. Here for a Brewers Association of Maryland meeting. Their rye porter on nitro, ipa, and helles lager and on point ale are delicious

i went to Ommegang today. Really nice brewery out in the farm land, growing their own hops there, good cafe and tap room. Really recommend if you're willing to make the trek all the way to cooperstown.

I went there for a friend's bachelor party a few years ago. Really cool campus they have there, but you're right it's kinda in the middle of nowhere

I personally think it makes since to be as far away from people as possible, less city taxes ,less city regulations, less people causing problems, more chances of getting things done ;)

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
I personally think it makes since to be as far away from people as possible, less city taxes ,less city regulations, less people causing problems, more chances of getting things done ;)

Fair enough if you're focusing on production and distribution. But id argue that it's easier to build brand recognition onsite then move into distribution than trying to build it solely through a third party. You have to tie a face and story to the beer. That's part of what defines "craft" beer for me, being able to know who the brewer is and why they do what they do.

I fully agree downtown isn't the best place, but bum fu*k Egypt isn't a good place either

Edit: I'd say easily highway accessible and a reasonable Uber ride from the main part of town are good criteria to use for a location, taxes and other such considerations as well of course

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
Smaller initial customer base, less skilled labor available, supply chain issues, distribution issues, lack of services, I grew up in "the country" and am very familiar with the problems businesses have getting started there. Once established, a nice bucolic setting might be just what the Board of Directors ordered but getting started, I'll take an urban environment any day.

Visited Factotum and Dry Dock in Denver. Really like Factotum's model of letting the average Joe pay to brew a big batch there, and their decor is a nice rustic/industrial vibe

Really happy with Dry Docks beers. Nice depth of styles, not just IPAs and stouts. And some good sours too. But that vanilla barrel aged porter...Super good

Visited Factotum and Dry Dock in Denver. Really like Factotum's model of letting the average Joe pay to brew a big batch there, and their decor is a nice rustic/industrial vibe

Really happy with Dry Docks beers. Nice depth of styles, not just IPAs and stouts. And some good sours too. But that vanilla barrel aged porter...Super good
I saw a podcast on you tube on that vanilla porter it takes you through their brew day lucky fella being able to taste it. I saw a beer review on it too the fella gave it a 9

The Dry Dock has a lot of good beers and has managed to keep its quality through three head brewers I know of and an expansion to a second facility. Going there this evening, gonna have myself my "go-to" IPA! Tim is very proud of his German styles!

Just about finished at Wynkoop Brewery. Had the Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout (3 BPB) and the Buffalo meatloaf. Frickin awesone

Just visited the Coors facility. Pretty amazing the sheer scale of everything. And the air outside smelled delicious

Back