Wheat beer and No Head

McAvinbrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
So as it says above, Ive brewed a wheat beer, my first all grain and there is essentially no head on it. It got 6lbs of wheat, 6lb 2-Row and 1lb of Vienna. I did a no sparge mash and all looked well, gravity came out at 1.064 so I brought it down to 1.058 for a more manageable brew. F.G came in at 1.010. The brew is fantastic, its tastes exactly how I wanted so not at all upset about my result, but there barely any sign of a crown on it. I thought my wheat beer would be a full headed brew but there it is looking like Kojak's brother. Can anyone explain to me why? I will definitely make this again but would like to know if I did something to kill the head.

what were your methods pre drinking? Did you bottle or keg, (+how much sugar / psi...)?

Maybe something as simple as a dirty glass that had some soap residue?
I forget how long you've let them carb, but letting them go a little longer might help too.

If you did bottle, have you tried any of the other bottles? Maybe the priming sugar didnt get fully mixed in with the beer.

Given how much wheat you used, that beer should have way more head than that. I'm with Oliver, I think the culprit is somewhere post fermentation

I kegged and force carbed, I threw a bit of extra pressure on it last night and its more carbonated today and with better head. I guess I was just over eager to get drinking it. Will leave it a little longer an try hold off drinking it. But dam its tasty, which is a good compliant to have.

Lesson learned. :D :D

It also helpswith wheat, to keep your mash at 52 Celsius (125 Fahrenheit) for 15-20 minutes.
It helps with good proteins and does a lot for head. :)
But dont overdo it, more than 30 minutes on this temp can be bad for the head too.

Back