Advanced Water Chemisty in Brew Session

drgonzo2k2

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey There,

I was just wondering a couple of things about the advanced water chemistry calculator now that I'm starting to use it a bit.

1 - How come you can't just switch between basic and advanced and save it along with your brew session like you can the basic one?

2 - When creating a water calc, why do you have to import all you info from scratch? Couldn't you select a recipe and have it pull in the grain bill for you?

Really digging the tool, just wish it was a little more integrated overall.

For your second question you can upload the grain bill from the recipe page. There is a link in the "Water Chemistry" box.

Doh! That's perfect! Can't believe I missed that.

the separate calculators are not necessarily tied to the brew session or recipe, but they are in the brew session tabs, those are tied to your recipe being brewed, in your settings a general starting water profile can be established then it will pull up inside any recipe to use or change in a brew session, I hope this helps

also look at my brewing tab

Bumping this back up the requests. I am looking to use the new mash calculator and would like to reduce the manual entry. I would think the following sections of the advanced mash calculator should be able to import directly from a recipe:

Water Volumes
Source Water
Grist Info

If the "Water Chemistry" section of the recipe was expanded to include a section for water salts, acids, and minerals then we would also be able to directly import the Salt Additions and the Acid Additions section as well.

The other approach would be to take out the "basic" calculator in the brew session and put in the advanced one.

So in order to pull in the info from your recipe to the advanced calculator you have to do so from the recipe editing screen, not the brew session screen. When you're editing the recipe there is a link to the calculator in the water chemistry section of the editor. This will pull in your grist info, mash/sparge volumes, and so on.

I guess the thought here is that you would do an advanced water calc once per recipe and then use that calc for each brew session.

Still, it would be nice to sort this all out as part of the recipe creation process and then have it load in your brew session for that recipe. It would also be nice to be able to toggle between the basic and advanced calc in your brew session, or even just have it be a setting in your profile.

there are a couple of ways to work on water, one is just through calculators and are not tied to anything, another is through the recipe and that is the advanced calculator and can be saved and pulled up again with http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/mywatercalcs/, this is where all recipes water profiles are saved, another is the brew session tab and thats a mini calculator and can also be saved and pulled up from the same link, also if you save a water profile to a recipe and brew it then it shows up in the brew session tab

Thanks again for the help guys, this was apparently a clear case of operator stupidity.

I was certain I checked, checked again, and then checked the third time without finding this magical link. Well, sure enough, there it is on the recipe page! I must have been looking in the wrong place, or perhaps something was bugged out in chrome.

It's working perfectly, and I agree that you should really only need one water calculation for the recipe. Everything is great.

Thanks all!

-B

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 858
I know this may have been talked about already but..... once I select my "target water profile" i.e light colored and hoppy.Why can't you just make it so I can select a pre-existing water profile i.e "Reverse osmosis (walmart vending machine)" and then have the calculator automatically make all the salt addition's? why do we need to input them ourselves? I have no clue what I am doing when it come's to water chem so this calculator does not help me. if I knew what I was doing I would probably not need the calculator.

Now all they need to do is do the additions automatically so it matches the target water. I have spent hour's trying to make those addition's and can't get any where close.

Back