HELP with Imperial brown ale

rsmierciak

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I completed my boil, got wort down to 72 deg, and first OG reading is 1.82, should be 1.071-1.075. The hydrometer gauge is sticking 2" out of my wort. Help please.....

do you mean 1.082? looking at the hydrometer i use, it only goes up to 1.170. 1.820 is like, a block of sugar or something.

so, assuming you're at 1.082, you should be alright, pitch yeast, make sure you check the ABV tolerance of the yeast you're using, but you'll be alright. pitch yeast, let sit for a couple weeks.

rsmierciak said:
So I completed my boil, got wort down to 72 deg, and first OG reading is 1.82, should be 1.071-1.075. The hydrometer gauge is sticking 2" out of my wort. Help please.....

Make sure your volumes are accurate. If the recipe is for five gallons and you finish with 4.5 gal then the gravity reading would be high.

oliver said:
do you mean 1.082? looking at the hydrometer i use, it only goes up to 1.170. 1.820 is like, a block of sugar or something.

so, assuming you're at 1.082, you should be alright, pitch yeast, make sure you check the ABV tolerance of the yeast you're using, but you'll be alright. pitch yeast, let sit for a couple weeks.

If I used the darn thing correctly, I'd get pretty good at this. I measured water, milk, V-8, an IPA I was enjoying, and red wine. Turns out I was reading it incorrectly. It was at 1.08 OG, now at 1.021 going into secondary fermenter. All is good!

Check your volumes and process to make sure everything is correct. If you want the beer back down to the original gravity, add water. If you're paranoid you can boil tap water and cool it or you can take the lazy brewer's route and just add it. It's simple proportions to determine how much water you need. Otherwise, as mentioned above, pitch it and enjoy a somewhat stronger imperial brown ale.

Meaning of course pitch the yeast, not pitch the batch.

Back