Bread Thread!

Getting better
IMG_20230131_125750.jpg

Used psyllium husk in this one this acts sorta like gluten does in wheat bread.

I made my worst bread ever this morning.
I had a poolish last night that I switched up on.
Added flour late and used the mixer for about 5 minutes. Then just threw it in the fridge and figured I'd give it a couple days at cold ferment.
Changed my mind and decided to pull it early from the fridge and try to proof it in the sauna for an hour.
I only got about 1/2 way and I just baked it off and hoped for the best.
That didn't work out so well.
Very dense loaves and still damp in the middle.
Oh well, can't win them all

I made my worst bread ever this morning.
I had a poolish last night that I switched up on.
Added flour late and used the mixer for about 5 minutes. Then just threw it in the fridge and figured I'd give it a couple days at cold ferment.
Changed my mind and decided to pull it early from the fridge and try to proof it in the sauna for an hour.
I only got about 1/2 way and I just baked it off and hoped for the best.
That didn't work out so well.
Very dense loaves and still damp in the middle.
Oh well, can't win them all
Keep trying, learn from the mistakes.
I made a slight process change on today’s bake. Usually, I bake covered at 450F for 45 minutes, then 15 more uncovered. Today it went 50 minutes covered, 10 minutes uncovered. There is still significant darkening of the crust, which honestly is fine, as it does not taste burnt, just looks that way.

I think we have a new champion! That looks really fine.
Thanks. This is the nicest looking loaf of sourdough I have baked so far. I've had this starter culture going for 3 years and it is really producing some great bread, I'm now working on making the loaves look as good as they taste.

Last edited:
Look great Ben,
Share how you did it and the recipe please
Thankyou.

OK
Cob loaf GF
700g GF flour
1 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan powder
25g Psyllium Husk powder
1.5% salt (10.5g)
20% ripe starter 140g
85% hydration 660g
1 tbsp olive oil.

Sive dry ingredients first and mix together
Add the wet ingredients
Using dough wisk or dough shaper combine all the ingredients until it form a ball.

No need the Knead your not developing gluten just combining it all untill it's looks like a dough ball.

The rest is an overnight 12 hour proof then form up and put in banneton in morning set aside an hour then get the oven piping hot 260c 20min covered then 30min 180c uncovered.

Cheers

Last edited:
Got a loaf pan today so baked a GF loaf
20230308_143046.jpg

It's a yeasted loaf I chucked the sourdough starter in as well for good measure.

This is the pan thing
20230308_143138.jpg

Will give this a crack a few more times if it goes good I'll buy another then bake back to back on the weekend and freeze a loaf.

Back