What are you doing with homebrew today?

It’s really pretty easy. On brew day, I scavenge enough spent grain (before composting the rest) to fill a couple baking pans about a quarter inch deep. The baking pans go in the oven at ~175F while I boil wort. I check on the grains, stirring and breaking clumps as needed until the grains are dry. It usually takes several hours. When the grains are dry, I bag them in a ziplock, then use as needed. To grind them into flour, I use an old Bosch 2-blade coffee grinder, which also get used for grinding spices. I just sub a small portion of sbg flour for some of what the recipe calls for. Over time, I have increased the portion of sbg flour.
Sometimes, I bag the wet grains and freeze them. When I need some sbg, I thaw, then dry as above. I love what the sbg flour adds to my baked goods. They make a good addition (in small quantity) to pancakes. I want to try some in pizza dough, too.
Tried producing this for the first time from the sediment at the bottom of my latest Porter extract kit brew seeing as have some Porter (older batch) in the fridge.

Worked first time although it is difficult to get my oven that low without the flame going out. So it cooked and hardened in about half the time. It was not far off burnt tbh although being Porter I guess it would have a slightly burnt taste. Only thing I have in for grinding is a pestle and mortar so took some time but I have done coffee beans that way when my grinder machine went so I persevered.

Reasonably fine not quite even flour consistency. About 2.5oz. Added it to a Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe sifted in with plain white flour and baking powder. This time the recommended temp was too low so it hadn't cooked in the centre even though it looked finished on top. Old fool here forgot the golden skewer test rule, made up the sauce too early and then a coffee before sinking serving spoon into the pudding only to find a lot of unfinished mixture under the surface. So had to fire the oven back up higher than before which resulted in almost burning the already cooked part.

But the sponge did work in the end! I need to get the ratios improved to cut down the bitterness but what is left will still be okay in smaller portions with more ice cream and sauce. Close to a success and confident this can work quite well but probably better in bread.

MyDSC2S1-032.jpg
MyDSC2S1-033.jpg

That'll leave a mark. Ow!

As for cold water, snow works. As does a relatively slow water replacement in the cold liquor tank. (I assume that's what it's called. I mean, we have a hot liquor tank, so…)
What hit me was the idea Don, or are you messing with me! I will have to do a test boil to make sure the recirculating condensate (clod liquor) supply does the trick. Don't want any surprises on my next brew day:D

What hit me was the idea Don, or are you messing with me! I will have to do a test boil to make sure the recirculating condensate (clod liquor) supply does the trick. Don't want any surprises on my next brew day:D
Just messing with you. I absolutely love riffing on ambiguous language and those who use it :D

I dry hopped the Bunyip tonight. Fermenting under pressure by the way. When I opened up the fermenter the krausen grew a good 1-2 inches. I tempted fate with tossing in 3oz of hops, and it started coming up some more! I got the lid back on quick and it settled back down! No volcano here tonight:D

I dry hopped the Bunyip tonight. Fermenting under pressure by the way. When I opened up the fermenter the krausen grew a good 1-2 inches. I tempted fate with tossing in 3oz of hops, and it started coming up some more! I got the lid back on quick and it settled back down! No volcano here tonight:D
Woah back there son don't rise up to meet me here I'll feed you some hops.:D

Yup watched a few YouTubers cop some volcano's depressurising fermentors and throwing in dry hops :p:p.

I've been lucky I tend to left fermentation run with no pressure then slap the hops in and let the pressure build after this.

I’m putting together my shopping list for a trip to lhbs (Home Fermenter). Most likely, this Friday I’ll brew up another batch of Smooth Stout, adding in some concentrated wort/syrup left over (frozen) from the last batch. In the spirit of reusing things, I will spin up a starter with some slurry harvested from that batch.

I put 2 bottles of bunjippy cold for the next taste test
Plus just moved the fermenter out of the fridge. Will be cleaning bottles after my coffee so the fermenter can rest after this streneous exercise (settling trub :p)

Debating how much of it I am going to drink tomorrow night. Based on some of the input I was given, I am 50/50 on how much the Pre Pro is going to clear with the six row I used with no protein rest. This is going to be the second week in the keg (it was also in the fermenter for 2). I broke down and tasted my first one on Tuesday (foamy and all) and it was absolutely yummy.
I don't know if it is worth it to drink a few, see if it will clear, or both.
Josh told me the 34/70 was forgiving, but with the six row and the corn, it is damn close to spot on what I was hoping for.
I had visions of having to sit on this beer for months, and that is certainly not the case based on the way it tastes.

Do you have a full recipe for that ginger beer Ben?
I think that needs to come in line with simple cider ;)
Nice in between batches!

Green ginger means fresh young ginger?

Do you have a full recipe for that ginger beer Ben?
I think that needs to come in line with simple cider ;)
Nice in between batches!

Green ginger means fresh young ginger?
Yeah Smack on Zambezi.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1351628/ginger-beer

Um recipe was 3kg wild honey or as mate called it winter honey from his hive it has crystallised.
I documented it in what are you brewing thread.

I added hops to 25ibus 30 min boil Added cryo pop hops to kegmenter on the overnight chill.
Pitched Windsor ale yeast 3 or 4th Gen now.
Fermentation was 21c with .5c increase.

Just finished up adding 18lt of aldi blackcurrent juice ontop of that cake with 1/2 teaspoon of nutrient.

It's Fermentation =19c with .5 swing.
20230210_205754.jpg

Back