Too late for Cold Crash Guardian

starboard5

Trial Member
Reaction score
Newbie here. I’ve got my 2nd batch ever in the fermenter now, temp controlled chamber. Brewed this past Sunday so almost a week in. I was reading about the benefits of cold crashing for more clear beer so I bought a Cold Crash Guardian which is arriving tonight or tomorrow. Question is, am I too late to use it this batch? Fermentation was vigorous the first 48hr and tailed off as expected. If I hook up the CCG now, is there going to be enough CO2 produced to fill the bladder, enough to make it worth my while?

Any help or guidance appreciated!
Dan

not likely. if it is not actively fermenting, it is not producing CO2 anymore.

although this will help with oxidation and airlock suckback, it is not the end of the world. use it next time and let this one ride.

if you have a co2 source, fill the baffle and then install it.

I'm glad you posted about this, it caused me to wonder about how I will cold crash when I use my kegland allrounder.
I need to put some thought into this. I need to devise some kind of bladder like this to tee into my spunding valve line.
I'm not seeing anything like this commercially available in Canada so far...

I'm glad you posted about this, it caused me to wonder about how I will cold crash when I use my kegland allrounder.
I need to put some thought into this. I need to devise some kind of bladder like this to tee into my spunding valve line.
I just close mine off or take it off the post.

This works really well. Simple mylar balloon and a valve. I don't open it until fermentation has started and purged the o2 from the fermenter. (Or in it will just fill the balloon with o2

20230128_084618.jpg

not likely. if it is not actively fermenting, it is not producing CO2 anymore.

although this will help with oxidation and airlock suckback, it is not the end of the world. use it next time and let this one ride.

if you have a co2 source, fill the baffle and then install it.

so would you recommend against cold crashing without a guardian? I’m fermenting in a bucket so I’m curious how likely it would be for the bucket to collapse in.

so would you recommend against cold crashing without a guardian? I’m fermenting in a bucket so I’m curious how likely it would be for the bucket to collapse in.
Well, if the cold compacted the gas enough to end at -1 PSI, and the bucket cover is 200 square inches, that's 200 lbs on the cover. Pounds per Square inch, eh? Then add in the bucket walls...and it might collapse a bit.

On the other hand, a little O2 is not a disaster, but avoiding it by drinking hazy beer is a small price. If a batch goes quickly, the O2 won't have time to do much damage.

I did it for years with no huge issues. worst that will happen is it will suck back the liquid in the airlock (which is starsan water anyway)

not a huge deal breaker. since you have the device, use it going forward

The mylar baloon will work great, I just use a zip lock bag. It will empty a full one gallon zip lock bag of CO2.

Back