Working up an 80-Acre Boulevard Brewery clone

EbonHawk

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for an 80-Acre Boulevard Brewery clone, and it goes like this...
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... wheat-beer

My first question is: What in the world is an "American — Vienna Malt"? I can find Vienna malts made in Germany, France, etc, but none as listed as being "American". Would Briess constitute an American Vienna malt? I think it's made exclusively in America now, by the Briess Malting company, although it was started in Czechoslovakia.

Maybe I need a different brew supplier, since NorthernBrewer never seems to have whatever specialty malt or ingredient I need. They'll have a substitute for a lot of them, but there always seems to be one or two things that I need that they don't have...

Briess can probably be safely considered an American Vienna Malt - They do manufacture in Wisconsin.

I get it from my local shop, its just marked Vienna, it doesn't really matter where its from the specs should be the same

this lists the ingredients on the site, Ive brewed something similar to this before and was well liked and the Boulevard beer is very good by the way

https://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeer ... heat-beer/

Color (EBC) 8
Bitterness (IBUs) 20
Original Gravity (Plato) 13.2
Terminal Gravity (Plato) 3.1
Alcohol (ABV) 5.5%
CO2 - Bottles / Cans 2.6 vol. (5.1g/L)
CO2 - Kegs 2.45 vol. (4.8 g/L)

Ingredients
Malt: Pale malt, unmalted wheat, malted wheat
Kettle Hops: Chinook, Exp 6300, Cascade
Dry-Hopping: Cascade. Nelson Sauvin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NebN2CJ ... e=youtu.be

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Just as an aside: I recently got to try Rico Sauvin at World of Beer in Destin, Fl, and while it was really, really good, it had Nelson Sauvin as the dominant hops (might have been the only one, not sure) but it was listed as (Sauvignon Blanc) grapes, passion fruit, and other "fruity" notes...but it had that overpowering grapefruit aroma and taste to me. It's like I can't get away from the stuff. :p So many hops just taste like a mouthful of grapefruit for me. Maybe my tastebuds have died. God forbid. :-(

your taste buds do tone down strong flavors as soon as after 1 drink sometimes so a good idea is to always cleanse the pallet with something else like carbonated water or something very neutral before going to the next beer or wine

Unless your brewing process is very accurate and repeatable, I doubt you'd notice a difference between Briess Vienna (American) and Weyermann Vienna (German). Taste the grains and see if you can tell a difference.

Brewed yesterday and it went into primary ferment last night around 10:30pm. Smelled and looked abso-freakin'-lutely fantastic!

Actually brewing this one for my brother who will be returning from Afghanistan for a 3 week visit. It's his current favorite beer commercially, and I've always wanted to try to brew one, so I did. Thanks to everyone's help here, I think it will be a smashing success.

We want to keep with a shooting, not strictly a military theme, and haven't named it yet. We're kind of at a loss as to what to name it. Went with Plinker Pils for the Pilsner Urquell clone we did a couple months ago, and we wanted to keep it along the same lines in the naming convention.

Kinda wanted to do a W name, like "Weapon Wheat", but that's just too stupid. Like Downrange Draft, or Artillery Ale, etc... May have to go with some other name than a W, but we'll just have to see what we can come up with. Don't suppose you guys have any suggestions?

Not really a full idea, but my mind went to something with "80 klicks" in it

jmcnamara said:
"80 Klick Long Range" ?
Salutations to your bro by the way for the hard work they do so we can brew beer.

Hmm, I'll have to think about that. That's not too bad actually, 80-Klicks Wheat..

How about Windage Wheat? Also, kinda thinking Warmonger Wheat. That one has gotten several thumbs-up in our group so far.

80 Klicks Warzone Wheat ?

Head First said:
jmcnamara said:
"80 Klick Long Range" ?
Salutations to your bro by the way for the hard work they do so we can brew beer.
Hey, thanks. I missed this when you posted before somehow. I'll tell him. He keeps in touch by text quite a bit, but hardly ever get to see him. He should be close to retirement pretty soon after doing like 6 overseas tours over a 25 year service period (not all overseas of course). He never thought they'd let him fly again, but put in for it anyway last year..and he got the thumbs-up after recertifying in everything. He was happy as could be.

I like "80 Klicks Wheat" but I will drop all the names and variations so far into our little group and see which one(s) get picked. Thanks for all the help!

After a briefly clogged pump that shut down the transfer to the bottling buckets, we got it all done (about 10 gallons) in about 3 hours or so. None of the brew club could help, but my wife and son helped out a lot.

Looks, smells and tastes amazing. Can't wait for it to finish carbonating.

And another smashing success!!! Woohoo, I'm so happy. But I messed up in one respect... I had the two different strains of yeast, and I was going to keep them labeled as to which was which...and I went and bottled all of them together (didn't mix them though) and now I don't know which bottles contain what strain of yeast. Oh well, that'll be an experiment for a different time. I was running out of time and needed to get them bottled and completely forgot about it. Might should have made myself a big note and stuck it somewhere to remind me. I am the poster child for CRS you know!! ;-)

I am pleased with the results on this one. I had gotten kinda burnt out on the whole "citrusy" hops thing awhile back, but this is a nice balanced citrus flavor with definite grapefruity notes, but also a slight orange and a hint of pineapple to it.

Slightly worried about how fast it carbonated (about 4 days) and am now dreading bottle bombs. Have to wonder if I miscalculated on the priming sugar. I don't remember one ever carbonating this quickly. Tastes spectacular though!!

Thanks for all the help and input. I have another brew I'm proud of, with the assistance of the awesome folks here on this forum. You guys are great. Wish I could have you over for some brews.

with the potential threat of bottle bombs and the fact it's a wheat beer, i think an argument could be made that it should be drank quicker than normal :)

glad to hear it turned out great. do you think it's close to the beer you were trying to clone?

I have not had the original, so my brother will have to be the judge of that and give me some feedback on it.

Back