On a search for non citrusy hops..

EbonHawk

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of citrusy hops. Grapefruity in particular. Our local brewery serves pretty much nothing but beers made with a grapefruit flavor, and I want something different. The head brewer there only likes grapefruity flavored beers and that's all he'll make, no matter how many times we tell him that some people want something different to choose from, from time to time.

I know about a few from past experiences, really like the Hallertau and especially Czech Saaz. Maybe Perle, I think it was...? I can (and have) spend hours looking up descriptions of them, but what do you guys use when you want something different, something besides the common grapefruity, coriander seasoned, citrusy ale? I personally love Cascade, but I'm kinda burnt out on it, I've made so many beers with the stuff..

Tried Equinox..and while I had high hopes for it, it's probably not one I'll get again. True to its description, it was hard to nail down to just one flavor and did kind of change depending on mood, or circumstance. But what other big, noble hops do you guys like to use?

I liked hull melon in a test batch I did. Simple 50/50 wheat and 2row mix.
Good flavor. Little subdued or subtle, but not in a bad way. Like, it could be easily covered up with other ingredients

None of the classic German noble hops are citrussy, nor are the traditional English varieties.

I just received a pack of El Dorado. Haven't used it yet.
Description: this hop has bright tropical fruit flavors and aromas of pear, watermelon, and stone fruit.
I tried a Stone PA with Mandarina Bavaria and it was decent. Not enough flavor/aroma but it wasn't grape-fruity.
I do like Saaz but only used it in a Belgian PA.

Azacca is another good one I've tried. Very fruity, but not much citruss-like flavor. Definitely not grapefruit

Attachments

• wheel.png
    wheel.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 638
I've heard of Amarillo, but never tried it before.

These are some great ideas, most of them I've not tried. My ventures have been through a lot of the English ales (Kent Goldings, Fuggles, etc) and the others I mentioned. I now have more than I imagined I would, thanks!!

I've been trying to brew german "IPA"s for a couple of years now, and for now the best hop (for my taste) is Mandarina Bavaria. It is really fruity without much citrus. Polaris is also quite good, but a bit *much* IMO...and hard to describe. Saphir, Opal and Hüll Melon are all very subtle. I quite like Smaragd, but in combination with something like Polaris or MB.

I like fuggles, northern brewer and German tradition hops. Citrus seems to be what's in fashion right now, maybe it will swing around to something else eventually.

I'm getting more and more partial to Sterling. Have a bine in the back of it.

Brewer #47101 said:
I'm getting more and more partial to Sterling. Have a bine in the back of it.
I understood the first sentence..but can you translate the 2nd one for me...?

He's got some growing in the backyard. A bine is the trellis thing they grow on

Target is a nice hop IMO. I've got a recipe for a Target/Amarillo Black IPA that's really tasty.

Chinook. Often described as piney or resiney. I make a singe hopped chinook IPA that is pretty good.

jmcnamara said:
Ok, thanks. I understand now.

jmcnamara said:

Actually, a bine is the plant itself. They're not vines, they're bines.

But, more to the point, what are you trying to make?

When I make a stout, I use Nugget and Fuggles. If it's a Wheat Beer, it's Hallertau, Saaz and Amarillo. My Saison was Saaz throughout. Brown Ale was Cascade and Chinook.

Doh, it did cross my mind that I may have been wrong after I posted that. Next time won't be so quick with my replies

Right now, I have a specific brew in mind. But the non-citrusy hops thing was to get some ideas of what hops to use, later, when I get done with this one.

It's my 80-Acre Boulevard Brewery-clone that I'm doing right now, but it calls for some specific hops: Columbus, Cascade, and Nelson Sauvin.

Back