What’s for dinner?

Looks great Herm!
Man, I love salmon, but it's just too expensive here

Avocado toast eggs Benny with cayenne lemon asparagus
20221113_194517.jpg

No pics of tonite's meal, because I ate it too fast. The missus used one of my chocolate oatmeal stouts in the gravy for her Irish stew kinda thing, sorta like beef tips over mash (fresh taters) with carrots and English peas. I nearly hurt myself before I pushed back. I AM STUFFED! Gotta know you've done good with the home brew when the missus wants some of it to cook with. Acted like she was worried about asking for it because she knows how good it is, or at least how good I think it is. Sure made the gravy rip, though. Dunno if we'll make it past more than two episodes of Holby Blue tonite with the full belly I have.

On our 2016 trip to Ireland, we'd been cold and wet most of the day while we were roaming about Dublin, and we stopped in a pub for dinner on our way back to our B&B. We did B&B accommodations for the whole trip, so most often just ate breakfast where we lodged, took snacks with us for lunch, and had our evening meals in pubs. It was actually not very expensive doing it that way, certainly cheaper than hotels and buying all three meals.

I don't know if it was because we'd been cold and wet all day and were just starved to death or if I'd dare say that stew was the best I'd ever had (including Mama's). We've been trying to replicate it since. We know it had a bit of Guiness in it, and I'm thinking maybe some Vegemite as well. All I know is with that meal and a couple Hop House 13's and I wasn't cold anymore. We were in Ireland for 21 days, and we were wet for 22 of them. I've never seen such a wet/cold place, but I still enjoyed it immensely (except a couple days while the North Atlantic was trying to erase the western shores of Ireland).

This wasn't tonight's dinner, but pretty it's darn close to what we were trying to mimic:

View attachment 19440
business etiquette online
Replace the Hop House 13 with one of my Oatmeal Stouts, and it would be VERY close. That bowl was a lot bigger than the picture gives it justice. I had to waddle out of the place that night.
I like a mixed grill. Please, everyone. A bit of steak, skewered shrimp/scallops. Grilled veggies....or freezer your steak for a later date.

20221206_155315.jpg
Beouf Bourginon ala Julia Childs. Such a filling dinner. And it helps giving me thr fuel to go low and slow on Three Pork Butts. Smoking starts at 4 AM MST. The pork butts are for a Ladies Night Event at Ace Hardware Cherry Creek where I work. I sure hope the ladies appreciate this labor of love. And to top it all off, I have 2.5 lbs of pork Belly to smoke for Burnt Ends. Who knows, I might even brew a batch of beer while waiting for the pork butts.

Attachments

• 20221206_183540.jpg
    20221206_183540.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 29
View attachment 23354 Beouf Bourginon ala Julia Childs. Such a filling dinner. And it helps giving me thr fuel to go low and slow on Three Pork Butts. Smoking starts at 4 AM MST. The pork butts are for a Ladies Night Event at Ace Hardware Cherry Creek where I work. I sure hope the ladies appreciate this labor of love. And to top it all off, I have 2.5 lbs of pork Belly to smoke for Burnt Ends. Who knows, I might even brew a batch of beer while waiting for the pork butts.
Omg yum

Life is Good in my hood! Well, other than the fact that my butt was out of bed at 4 AM MST so I could get the Pork Butts going. My lovely wife at least got up with me and made the coffee so I could get "to work" smoking. Should be a productive day though. I am going to brew a small batch of SMaSH today while I am waiting on the meat to cook.

Life is Good in my hood! Well, other than the fact that my butt was out of bed at 4 AM MST so I could get the Pork Butts going. My lovely wife at least got up with me and made the coffee so I could get "to work" smoking. Should be a productive day though. I am going to brew a small batch of SMaSH today while I am waiting on the meat to cook.
Actually bought this the other day for my little Webber Q to try out some smoking.
20221205_130939.jpg

Should start me off in the right direction?

Actually bought this the other day for my little Webber Q to try out some smoking.
View attachment 23359
Should start me off in the right direction?
Try use low fire and then some wood (not too much) in that box. Put on one side of the kettle and your meat on the other side.
Not as easy as with a dedicated smoker but you'll make some nice food.
(I got a weber smoky mountain. It's an awesome piece of kit)

View attachment 23354 Beouf Bourginon ala Julia Childs. Such a filling dinner. And it helps giving me thr fuel to go low and slow on Three Pork Butts. Smoking starts at 4 AM MST. The pork butts are for a Ladies Night Event at Ace Hardware Cherry Creek where I work. I sure hope the ladies appreciate this labor of love. And to top it all off, I have 2.5 lbs of pork Belly to smoke for Burnt Ends. Who knows, I might even brew a batch of beer while waiting for the pork butts.
I tried smoking that once, couldn't keep it lit ...:rolleyes:

@Trialben wet the chips so they smolder and not burn, and put them over the low fire on one side, meat over no flame on the other end. Then wait a couple hours. At the end, 20 minutes or so in the oven to finish it off. Yum!

What to do with kettle loss and spent mash....
20221210_182040.jpg

I poured my kettle sludge into a jar and let it settle out. The wort then was used to crockpot a pork tenderloin. I added some spent mash into the bread dough Wifey makes. Oh yeah....Celebration is on the shelves folks.

I want to cook salmon with walnut sauce. I've read that it's very good for those with ED, so it's a perfect dinner option for me. Of course, I take medicamnets, but prevention will not hurt

Back