Skunked

The Brew Mentor

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Well I've been light on activity for the last 2 weeks because my dog got sprayed by a skunk.
Now you may not think that's a big deal, but this was huge!
We went to St Pete's for a long weekend a couple weeks ago for some much needed R&R.
Saturday night at 2 am we got the call from my daughter with the news. The dog got sprayed about midnight and she panicked and let the dog into the house.
As she was calling a 24 hour vet clinic and researching how to handle the situation, the dog was running rampant through the house, rubbing herself on the carpet, my bed, and anything else she could.
30 minutes later, she got the dog into my shower and washed her with dawn, peroxide and baking soda. 2 times.
But by then, the damage was already done!
She did what cleaning she could do all day on Sunday.
We got home on Monday morning.
We have been cleaning endless for the last 2 weeks. Carpet, walls, laundry ( 80 ish loads) every surface, all closets emptied, removed shelves, primed and painted, master bedroom gutted, primed and painted including the subfloor, new flooring going in, master bathroom (where the dog was cleaned, washed down with bleach and dawn, 2 times, then painted.
3 truckloads to the dump, 1 load to good will, another truckload going out tomorrow.
Everything plastic or rubber basically tossed . We're now getting close to normal.
I did fire damage repair for 18 years earlier in my career and this was every bit as destructive as a fire.
Now I need another vacation! Haha.

Oh, that sucks! I would've hit a like on your post, but that might send out the wrong message. ;) I really feel for you. So much work for a few minutes of doggy shenanigans.

Several years ago my sister-in-law's German shepherd decided to tangle with a skunk in the back yard and got sprayed. SIL unwittingly let him in the house and the first thing the dog did was roll around on the living room carpet, trying to shed the smell. Like he's doing a dirt bath, only no dirt. She had to bathe the dog and shampoo the carpet multiple times, scrub the walls, windows open for days, etc. We came to visit a few weeks after that and the smell was still there, albeit muted. Like a faint aroma of burning rubber. It wasn't intolerable.

CSB: My dad was in the insurance business, and when we were kids, he had a claim for smoke damage to a clothing store. Total loss of inventory, and they had to throw out racks of otherwise nice clothes. Dad brought home a bunch for the whole family, but we had to take it to a laundromat and wash it all a couple times to rid the smoke smell.

Well I've been light on activity for the last 2 weeks because my dog got sprayed by a skunk.
We went to St Pete's for a long weekend a couple weeks ago for some much needed R&R.
Saturday night at 2 am we got the call from my daughter with the news. The dog got sprayed about midnight and she panicked and let the dog into the house.
As she was calling a 24 hour vet clinic and researching how to handle the situation, the dog was running rampant through the house, rubbing herself on the carpet, my bed, and anything else she could.
30 minutes later, she got the dog into my shower and washed her with dawn, peroxide and baking soda. 2 times.
We have been cleaning endless for the last 2 weeks. Carpet, walls, laundry ( 80 ish loads) every surface, all closets emptied, removed shelves, primed and painted, master bedroom gutted, primed and painted including the subfloor, new flooring going in, master bathroom (where the dog was cleaned, washed down with bleach and dawn, 2 times, then painted.
3 truckloads to the dump, 1 load to good will, another truckload going out tomorrow.
Everything plastic or rubber basically tossed . We're now getting close to normal.
I did fire damage repair for 18 years earlier in my career and this was every bit as destructive as a fire.
Oh sweet Moses. :eek:

Hard to click 'like' on that one. My condolences.

I hit a skunk with my rig once. smelled for weeks. I cant imagine your house smelling like that.

The smell was so bad you had to gut the bedroom including the subfloor? :eek:
Wow! Skunks can be way more destructive than I thought! At least you have the skills to repair the damage. Although that still couldn't have been cheap.

The smell was so bad you had to gut the bedroom including the subfloor? :eek:
Wow! Skunks can be way more destructive than I thought! At least you have the skills to repair the damage. Although that still couldn't have been cheap.
We first cleaned the carpet and it was still awful so next I pulled the carpet and pad out. Then all the staples and vacuumed the subfloor.
Next, wash all the walls and trim with bleach and Tide. Clean water wash, then primer and 2 coats of paint on everything.
When I finished that, there was still a faint smell coming from the floor, so I had some old paint and primer that I applied to seal it up.
Today I installed new laminate flooring ( still have the closets to finish) and put my bedroom back together. We'll sleep in our room for the 1st time tonight.
Getting there!

At least that's one animal we haven't got here!
Indeed sounds like you need another holiday!

When I was a young lad my parents had an old farm house out in California. We visited it on weekends. It was a really old one room. School house that had been added onto a couple times.
Well a small skunk had found a way to get into the house from under the kitchen sink.
It would show up whenever you were working in the kitchen. I used to mess with it and was able to feed it byhand.
Well, we let some people stay there for a while and apparently they didnt like the skunk as much as we did and shot it in the house. Iguess when they stabbed it with something to get it out from under the sink it let go.....
Yup the house was unbareable for a long time. I am sure my parents did a lot of kitchen cleanine etc

There's no way any skunked beer smells anywhere near what I just went through.
Maybe I can go get a miller highlife in a clear bottle, set it in the sun for a couple hours and see how they compare!
All in the name of beer! Haha

Back