Home made pizza

Yeah I know ;)
I did my first pizza's with pellets that came with the 2nd hand uuni. Then disassembled the thing, put in my suitcase and brought it to Africa by plane :)
I do have the pellet burner here as well. You really have to be on the ball using pellets. Real nice if someone is helping ;)
Gas makes it easy to use with one pair of hands. Pellets is more exciting though
Thing chews through pellets rapidly, resulting in variable rates of cooking at times if you get too distracted with pizza production. Can see the advantages of gas, but also wonder if it gets quite as hot.

Not as hot as with pellets, but plenty hot enough for pizza to be done in 90 seconds....
My IR thermometer isn't working, so can't give you the exact readings on the stone.

image.jpg
Post hike homemade pizza, this time splitting my dough in half to try a thin crust version.

PXL_20221205_223145697.jpg

I've been experimenting with using low diastolic malt powder additions to my dough with great results.
I am thinking I could make my own from 2 row and am getting conflicting information.
Before trials, has anyone made there own and what were the results?

View attachment 23357
I've been experimenting with using low diastolic malt powder additions to my dough with great results.
I am thinking I could make my own from 2 row and am getting conflicting information.
Before trials, has anyone made there own and what were the results?
Those are some good looking pies!
For a while, I was grinding about 20 grams of 6-row barley into flour, and adding that to my sourdough. The original recipe called for the addition of diastatic malt powder, but I subbed the 6-row for that. Now I use 50 grams of spent beer grain (ground to flour) in my sourdough. I might try using some sbg flour in my next pizza dough.
Interested in what you/I/we might discover.

If using a large percentage of spent grain flour, would you have problems with the dough not sticking together, making if difficult to roll it out into a pizza crust? If so, would vital wheat gluten help it stick together?

If using a large percentage of spent grain flour, would you have problems with the dough not sticking together, making if difficult to roll it out into a pizza crust? If so, would vital wheat gluten help it stick together?
When I use sbg for flour, I grind it very fine, using an old Bosch coffee grinder. That flour then gets thoroughly mixed in with the rest of the flour. In my experience, at least with sourdough for bread, the dough holds together nicely.

Those are some good looking pies!
For a while, I was grinding about 20 grams of 6-row barley into flour, and adding that to my sourdough. The original recipe called for the addition of diastatic malt powder, but I subbed the 6-row for that. Now I use 50 grams of spent beer grain (ground to flour) in my sourdough. I might try using some sbg flour in my next pizza dough.
Interested in what you/I/we might discover.
Definitely don't want to use spent grain in these.
The low diastatic malt is basically flour from malted barley if I'm understanding it correctly.
So my thought was to take 2 row, run it through the mill a couple times and the through a sifter to remove the hull material, then maybe use a mortar and pestle to crush it very fine

Made a poolish yesterday morning. Last night added the balance of the ingredients and gave it 1 fold about 90 minutes later. Then off to the fridge for overnight. I'll ball it up this morning and back to cold until around 5pm tonight.
Tonight there'll be Pizza!!!

Last edited:
I picked up an Ooni Koda12 for the shop.
It was used once (I know who it was) and I got it for 1/2 price.
These ovens cook very different than my home oven, so back to the drawing board again!
Is anyone else using this or a similar oven?

Interesting looking rig!

Think I'll start with a 65% hydration and a 280g dough balls.
Should be about a 60 second cook.
I ordered a round turning peel for turning and removing the pie when it's done.
700° deck temperature to start

I got the old uuni 3 with gas burner.
Very much like the brew mentor says.
Preheat around 10 to 15 minutes (on full).
Load pizza. Turn every 20 seconds or so, maybe 25-30
Turn often.

60 - 65 % hydratiion of dough. Don't use too much toppings.

I load with a wooden peel, turn and remove with a steel one

If you want a more "bready" pizzs, then turn the flame down

I love mine :)

I got the old uuni 3 with gas burner.
Very much like the brew mentor says.
Preheat around 10 to 15 minutes (on full).
Load pizza. Turn every 20 seconds or so, maybe 25-30
Turn often.

60 - 65 % hydratiion of dough. Don't use too much toppings.

I load with a wooden peel, turn and remove with a steel one

If you want a more "bready" pizzs, then turn the flame down

I love mine :)
Awesome, thanks @Zambezi Special

Back