Stainless Rookie Question

Zefram

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all!

I recently switched from plastic buckets to a SS Brewtech Brew Bucket (should have done that years ago!). I passivated using a TSP solution as instructed in its documentation, regularly clean with OxiClean immediately after use, and sanitize with IO Star.

The cooling coil and temperature probe (attached to the lid) are developing some sort of buildup that isn't scrubbing off easily. I noticed it after the first brew, but it is getting worse. It doesn't seem to affect the beer, but I kind of like things to be shiny :D The same sort of buildup isn't on the bucket's interior.

Does anyone experienced with stainless equipment (a) know what this buildup is and (b) how to clean it?

Thanks in advance!

IMG-2268.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not an expert so please wait for some more responses, but that might be from Calcium deposits. Search for the best way to remove (and avoid) "Beer Stone".

It is likely beer stone. It is a combination of calcium and protein, so a simple acid won't touch it because the protein deposit protect the calcium from coming in contact with the acid cleaner. You can clean it with this:

https://fivestarchemicals.com/beer-stone-remover

Or this:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...EMVLrhES4XwNFKMaZZdQALQqZAomFKoIaAqPhEALw_wcB

Or you can use bar keepers friend and scrub it by hand.

Brewers will often add extra calcium to the mash to get the overall calcium to 75ppm. I'm not sure the mechanism, but this will help reduce or prevent beer stone. The other thing that can make it worse is brewing with a water that has high alkalinity.

Hope that helps.

+1 on the beer stone and Five Star BS remover. Tip: the instructions say a 10 minute contact time (maybe that’s the minimum?), but I’ve found it more effective if I leave it on longer, like an hour.

beerline cleaner will do it too, if you have kegs.

Make up a bucket of PBW solution, using hot water from the faucet. Soak the coils in it for a half hour or so. Remove and rinse. Then soak in hot Starsan solution for 30 minutes or so. Rinse well. This is a safer, home-user version of the alkaline/acid wash cycle that many pros use.

I would also say "lime/calcium".
Can be removed with diluted acid or you could use one of those coffee machine cleaner thingy's.
I'm not very familiar with most commercial available cleaners

Last edited:
beerline cleaner will do it too, if you have kegs.

I’m another one for beer line cleaner although I can’t speak to what your build up is. BLC works best with some agitation though so I would give it a something like a 30 min rest while swirling your coil in it every few minutes.

Looks more like buildup you see on a heating element rather than a cooling coil, odd stuff.

Thanks everyone. I went with the beer stone remover and that seemed to help. A hot soak for an hour followed by some serious scrubbing got most of it. Appreciate the help!

Yep, beer stone
Acid works best at breaking it down and once removed, keep it in check and you should be able to just wipe it off after applying acid

Try to scrub it off before it dries out.

Back