Home Reno Projects

A new kitchen floor is in the plans for me as well (only about 200 sq ft not 1000). @The Brew Mentor, what type flooring is that? Did you float it or nail/glue it down? My plan is to float Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP). Once the cabinet guy lets me know when he will be here, I'll rip out the previous floor. I just hope they didn't glue it because the original floor is 9 inch tile from the fifties, which means it likely contains asbestos. And I really don't want to disturb that!

A new kitchen floor is in the plans for me as well (only about 200 sq ft not 1000). @The Brew Mentor, what type flooring is that? Did you float it or nail/glue it down? My plan is to float Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP). Once the cabinet guy lets me know when he will be here, I'll rip out the previous floor. I just hope they didn't glue it because the original floor is 9 inch tile from the fifties, which means it likely contains asbestos. And I really don't want to disturb that!
Premium Vinyl Plank. Pad attached. I only put down a 6mm vapor barrier. I still have a commercial account at Lumber Liquidators, so I get a nice discount. Let me know, maybe I can help you out with that.
The floor floats.
I also agree that the 9 " VCT flooring from the 50's most likely contains asbestos, but the only way to know is by testing it. I'd suggest not doing that and if you have to take it out, set up a negative pressure containment before going forward. Get somebody who knows how to handle this.
I was involved in lead abatement and certified back in the day, Lead and asbestos were handled similarly.
Encapsulation Is also an acceptable method and likely the best way to handle this if you're not sure.
Let me know if I can help.
Cheers,
Brian

16643129726114892537296612922971.jpg

Not exactly home reno, but some new tools in the garage needed some power. Since I'm still learning to walk after breaking my leg in July I haven't been able to brew yet. However, my brewery has a GFCI 30A 4 wire 240V outlet that I made an extension cord to plug into it. Extension cords don't need permits here so I'm good to go.

IMG_20221112_123144_01.jpg

IMG_20221112_123144_02.jpg

Not exactly home reno, but some new tools in the garage needed some power. Since I'm still learning to walk after breaking my leg in July I haven't been able to brew yet. However, my brewery has a GFCI 30A 4 wire 240V outlet that I made an extension cord to plug into it. Extension cords don't need permits here so I'm good to go.

View attachment 23077

View attachment 23078
Ehhh, 240, 241, whatever it takes...:p

View attachment 23077

View attachment 23078

Nice extension cord. And done right with big SO cable.

Did you put each 120V duplex outlet on a separate leg of the 240, or just one?

Ehhh, 240, 241, whatever it takes...:p
Good old Michael Keaton. Saw that in the theater when it came out, about one quarter of the audience laughed, the rest thought there was something wrong with us!

I've been plumbing
And more plumbing to come....

I actually don't mind to much as long as I can easily get to it.
Yesterday, I couldn't so muscles are aching today. Folding yourself around corners was easier a good 20 years ago!

Our new home, built in 1963, has a set of concrete steps coming up from the driveway, to a level walkway. After passing the front window, the walkway makes a 90 degree turn and leads to the front door. About halfway to the door, the concrete was cracked and offset, creating a tripping hazard. Another hazard was the nearly one foot drop from the stoop to the off kilter walkway, which provided a real challenge to my short statured wife (she stands all of 4 feet 11 inches tall). We hired a local contractor to build us a front deck, starting at our front door and extending out into the front yard. This will allow for easier entry and exit through the front door, as well as providing a nice afternoon seating spot out of the summer sun. Project should be complete next week. Here is the framing for the deck.
image.jpg

Our new home, built in 1963, has a set of concrete steps coming up from the driveway, to a level walkway. After passing the front window, the walkway makes a 90 degree turn and leads to the front door. About halfway to the door, the concrete was cracked and offset, creating a tripping hazard. Another hazard was the nearly one foot drop from the stoop to the off kilter walkway, which provided a real challenge to my short statured wife (she stands all of 4 feet 11 inches tall). We hired a local contractor to build us a front deck, starting at our front door and extending out into the front yard. This will allow for easier entry and exit through the front door, as well as providing a nice afternoon seating spot out of the summer sun. Project should be complete next week. Here is the framing for the deck.
View attachment 23306
Looks good, any progress photos Herm?

image.jpg
Here it is. We’re looking forward to enjoying summer afternoons on this east facing deck. It is such an improvement over the narrow, broken concrete path that used to lead to our front door. However, covered in ice as it was for a couple days, that was a horribly slick surface.

Looks great Herm!

Back