Immersion chiller in fermenter

I agree with Minbar's point that moving the hot wort to the fermenter will help sanitize the fermenter. I transferred my last batch to my fermenter and used my glycol chiller to cool the wort down. This was my first try at this and it did not go as I expected. My blow off tub sits in a small jar of san star mix as my airlock. What I failed to think about is the fact that the cooling wort created a vacuum so my wort sucked my airlock dry. 10 gallon batch, so I am hoping the extra half pint of liquid won't cause too much of a problem.

What about a simple faucet adapter so you can use a close sink?

Like @The Brew Mentor stated, you could try an adapter like the one in the attached picture or even add a T underneath the sink on the supply line like the second picture.

Attachments

• 3021774A-C58E-4817-A169-A1294636874B.jpeg
    3021774A-C58E-4817-A169-A1294636874B.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 1EC62675-2BE3-4777-A292-FBFC819DE62A.jpeg
    1EC62675-2BE3-4777-A292-FBFC819DE62A.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 27
I agree with Minbar's point that moving the hot wort to the fermenter will help sanitize the fermenter. I transferred my last batch to my fermenter and used my glycol chiller to cool the wort down. This was my first try at this and it did not go as I expected. My blow off tub sits in a small jar of san star mix as my airlock. What I failed to think about is the fact that the cooling wort created a vacuum so my wort sucked my airlock dry. 10 gallon batch, so I am hoping the extra half pint of liquid won't cause too much of a problem.
It won't hurt anything. But ya, I don't attach the airlock until it is at pitch temp for that exact reason

Like @The Brew Mentor stated, you could try an adapter like the one in the attached picture or even add a T underneath the sink on the supply line like the second picture.
I went the "T" route. We have a pipe in the basement that feeds the hose bib outside. Tapped into that for cleaning and HE water

Back