Hop utilisation

legropes

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Quick question. If I have a 60 min hop addition and I remove it at 30 min before the end of the boil it would absolutely affect my hop utilisation right? thanks in advance!!!

yes adding or subtracting any hop at any time or moving to a new time changes the ibu, you can see this in the recipe editor

Yeah thats what I thought. Some people are suggesting that the alpha acids are all leeked into the wort and then that it doesnt matter if the hop is there or not because the alpha acid is already in the wort ready to be isomerized to iso alpha acid for bittering. Thanks for the feedback mate!

It definitely changes it, that's for sure. But I imagine it gets much more complicated pulling it from the boil like that. I've got a BrewChem 101 book around here somewhere that might shed some light on it, but I'm kinda lazy when it comes to stuff like that and might or might not get around to thumbing through it. Just too much to do, dangit. But I'll see what I can find.

Thanks Ebonhawk. If you get to it that would be great. I definitely understand that you are busy! Why are we so busy?????? But never too busy to brew though :)

what happens is the closer you get to 0 the more flavor shows up in the bittering hop and less bittering, so you can increase the amount to get the right ibu but it might not be just an offset bitter taste it will also have flavor

Back