Brewing Again

I have my mill set to the tightest gap which is 0.025

I had to play around with mine.
First too coarse. Terrible efficiency
Tried credit card, but maybe ours are thinner than Ben's as grain didn't run proper. Got stuck half way.
Opened up and runs smooth. I run it twice.
Note that I use muscle power, that may have an influence on the gap setting

I crushed the grain at the store, it was a new store and not sure what their gap is compared to the LHBS that i was going to.
But now that I walked into The Brew Hut, I will be using them. I will ask what they have their mills set at

Brewing coffee right now then I will set up shop, kinda chilly ATM...brisk 30f

I asked my LHBS sometime ago and was told their mill is set to 0.040.

Preboil numbers were a bit low, but somehow it is saying I had more water after mashing than before I started....

add some time to the boil, have bout 30 min left

So, my water volumes were WAY off, after transfering 5.5 gallons to the the fermenter I had 1.25 gallons left in pot/hoses. Not sure what is going on, but I will dial it in.

I started with exactly 10 gallons..I mean 100% exact. To the drop...lol.... ok as close to 10 gallons as human error will allow.

So this is mostly my fault I think, i changed numbers around to get to a 10 gallon total water needed volume.

I adjusted a few items in my brewing profile, and from now on I am going to shoot for kettle volume and not fermenter volume, and see if I can dial it in. I think a winter project will be to etch volume markers on the inside of my kettle

Last edited:
Preboil numbers were a bit low, but somehow it is saying I had more water after mashing than before I started
Was it raining real hard? :rolleyes:

As a single point of reference, for 5.5 gallons into my fermenter, with about 12 pounds if grain, I start with 8 gallons and boil off 1.1 gallons in my 1 hour boil. Sometimes I am a quart low, which I ignore.

Back