American Stout

Brownyard

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a roasty, sweet-ish stout. Basically, the way I first remember Sierra Nevada Stout tasting years ago (current batches don't seem as roasty as I remember). I know us05 would be an obvious yeast choice, but BRY-97 yeast looks like it would leave some of the sweetness I'm looking for. Ideas?

2.5 Gallon BIAB
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1321666/big-schnook-stout

I think your recipe looks good.

But I'll nit-pick anyway because I can't help myself. :oops:

I use BRY-97 a lot, and especially for Stouts. Looking back at the last half dozen I brewed, I'm averaging about 76% attenuation with this yeast, using no crystal malt, mashing at 150° for 75 minutes. Just a data point. Given your recipe, I would think you would get a bit less than that so setting it at 72 feels right to me.

I definitely prefer my Stouts on the drier side so I can't comment on the grain bill that much other than to say that I would use Flaked Barley instead of Flaked Oats. MY OPINION ONLY ---> Flaked Barley is very foam positive and helps prop up a nice head, which I consider mandatory for a Stout. Flaked Oats, not so much. The oats will give you a slick mouthfeel (some describe as added body) and reduce your head and head retention.

Chinook will definitely give you a firm, sharp bitterness. I prefer Magnum which I find a bit more moderate, but that's just my preference.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

I definitely prefer my Stouts on the drier side so I can't comment on the grain bill that much other than to say that I would use Flaked Barley instead of Flaked Oats. MY OPINION ONLY ---> Flaked Barley is very foam positive and helps prop up a nice head, which I consider mandatory for a Stout. Flaked Oats, not so much. The oats will give you a slick mouthfeel (some describe as added body) and reduce your head and head retention.

Thanks for the input. I had considered flaked barley. Would you use the same amount?

Recipe looks good and I agree with @Megary regarding flaked barley. If you did want to use oats, investigate toasting them. You can research online about the “how to.” Also, if you want to save a few bucks, the store brand oats will work just as well as Bobs. Lastly, I like Fuggles in my stouts.

I like it. Are far as flaked products. I use both in my stout. They both have their benefits for a stout. It's not an either/or

Last edited:
What about mashing the recipe on the high side with 05 so it doesn't attenuate as much?

Last edited:
I don’t know enough about stout, but I’m interested and willing to learn. The first thing I wonder about @Brownyard is the use of 3 dark malts in equal proportions. Do you expect each to provide something distinct, or are you going for the sum of their parts? Could you arrive at the same place with one or two dark malts, for no other reason than to simplify?

As a newby in Eugene, I want to have a few dark house beers. There is my first stout, brewed earlier this year -need to reprise that brew as it turned out quite good, at least to my taste
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1260400/herms-smooth-stout

The first thing I wonder about @Brownyard is the use of 3 dark malts in equal proportions. Do you expect each to provide something distinct, or are you going for the sum of their parts? Could you arrive at the same place with one or two dark malts, for no other reason than to simplify?

I actually began the recipe as a mod on a porter recipe and just added the roasted barley on top. I may just drop the black patent and split the rb and chocolate.

Definitely a fine line between a Porter and a “sweet-ish” Stout.

upload_2022-10-16_14-14-50.png

Oui dee Pordie pie dee Sweeddish dreekie

Back